12. The stranger's home

"I don't think coming here was the best idea" I smiled awkwardly trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart" Aunt Eva cried "I don't know what's got into him these days. We are so ashamed..."

"I'll call your dad" Alpha Liam sighed next to her.

"No" I said a little too quickly "If dad knows, Alex will know and he's already stressed out. I'll just tell them that the weather didn't suit me"

"I was so happy you were coming to spend time with us" Aunt Eva said slowly.

"You can always come visit me" I assured her.

"You don't hate us, do you?" she asked with hope filled eyes.

"We are both all right, aren't we?" I smiled at her "You guys didn't let anything happen to us. Please don't feel guilty"

The one who should be apologizing isn't even here. Its morning and Luc's going to drop me off at my parents' place. I can't stay another moment at a place where my child's unsafe. I can't direct my anger at people who didn't do anything but rush to my defense. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always knew coming here would be a bad idea.

"I'll send a team to your place. We'll see if we can arrange having the baby at home" Alpha Liam said.

I smiled gratefully at him even though I knew it wasn't feasible. I don't know what I'm going to do now. I walked to the car where Luc was waiting for me. He had some major stiches placed on him and a few minor bone cracks. He healed overnight.

This is it. That's all I came back for, a day and a half of uncertainty and confusion. And I was going back to a place where the uncertainty of my husband finding out my secrets will loom over me.

My steps halted on their own when a familiar scent drifted towards me. My hands went to my bump involuntarily. Luc was out of the car and stood in front of me so did the rest of the family.

I watched him as he walked towards us, his resolute gaze fixed on me. I cowered further into Luc.

"He's here to apologize" Luc assured me. Dan probably mind linked them because they all visibly relaxed even though none of them moved.

It did nothing to sooth my fear. The intensity in his gaze scared me. There had been a lot of things I once felt for Dan but fear wasn't one of them. Today however, I'm afraid of what he's going to do more so for my unborn child. The man walking towards me is not the Daniel I knew, he's a stranger. The way he's looking at me is alien to me. I can't figure his intentions out.

I hardened my gaze and gritted my jaws together making sure he knows how I feel about the stunt he pulled last night. His gaze softened as if drawn out of a trance. He turned his attention to his father.

"I need to talk to her" he told him.

Alpha Liam nodded "Go ahead" he said without moving.

"Alone"

I gasped at that. The events of the previous night rushed into my memory "No" I almost screamed. His eyes snapped to me. I stubbornly refused to look at the pain and sadness in them.

"She's scared" Luc spoke for me "It'll probably be safe for her this way"

"I will not harm her" he told Luc authoritatively, Luc squirmed but didn't give in. He was still not talking to me, not apologizing.

"She's traumatized Dan" Aunt Eva said cautiously "Your wolf was about to attack her. It'll be better this way"

"Luc can stay" he told them.