42

I called Tori's phone several times to no avail. I ran to Tori's door, my parents and Cora following. Darwin, with a bandaged head, was in Cora's arms and half-conscious.

"Stop being so shy, Sherry," Darwin grumbled to Cora. "C'mon, kiss the cook..." Darwin snorted, his head injury causing weird shit to go on up there.

"Darwin," Cora grunted. "It's Cora." Darwin was already unconscious again, slobbering all over Cora's shirt. I banged on Tori's door, and the thing eventually opened. It was Tori's older sister - Natalie.

"Hey, Natalie, is Tori home?"

"No, she went for a walk. Downtown I think."

"What? How long ago?"

"A while. She should be back soon. Is that guy okay?" I looked behind me and saw a very disoriented Darwin trying to kiss Cora.

"He's, uh, not well. Did Tori say exactly where she was walking?"

"Umm... some sort of memorial building. Named after a... congressman I think."

"Thomas Williams?"

"Uhh... I think so." I turned and ran past my parents and friends, running towards Tori's car. I tossed a spare key to my Dad.

"Tori gave me a spare. We have to hurry." Mom and Dad climbed in front, and Cora, Darwin, and I climbed in the back. Dad started the car and drove towards Manhattan. The drive through downtown was fast, involving cutting cars off, running red lights, and taking roads that were closed. Dad drove like a maniac, almost crashing into every other car.

Finally, we reached the building. I jumped out and ran towards the building Tori and I were at months earlier. Darwin was more coherent now and was confused.

"Norman...? What's... what's going on?"

I ignored him as I ran, I almost kicked something as I got to the fire escape. A necklace. Not just any necklace. This necklace was the one Tori's grandmother owned a similar one of. The one her grandmother lost in a fire, the one I spent months saving up for, because I wanted her to smile again. I fell to my knees and grabbed the necklace from the asphalt. Tears moistened my eyes, my chest burning with fear. A hand rested on my shoulder. It was my mother.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." I jumped up from my knees.

"You're sorry? You're the one that caused this mess." I purposely bumped her shoulder as I passed her, walking onto an empty and dark street. Cora slowly walked up to me, her beautiful eyes looking sad.

"Hey," Cora said softly.

"Hi."

"You know... it's not exactly your Mom's fault."

"How's that, because from where I'm standing the only person to blame is her?"

"Well... me and Bryan didn't exactly tell you everything..."

"What?"

"Supers. That's the connection between all the Chronicle vics. The Chronicle targets people with powers."

"What?"

"My Mom had abilities similar to mine. So did most of the people the Chronicle targeted. We should've told you, but... we think the Chronicle has powers of his own." Cora waited for me to answer, but my brain's high-functioning wires were at work.

"What was Bryan's brother's name?"

"Hmm? Uh, Mathew. Mathew Everdale."

"Before the building exploded Bryan called the Chronicle 'Mathew'."