33

September 10th

There are just some days people don't ever get used to. Monday is one of them. The beginning of school was also one of them. School days are bad too. Also, days when I have to... "express myself". Ugh.

"What's the point of this stupid interview again?"

I sat in a wobbly wooden chair, a black camera lens pointed at me. A cameraman, an interviewer, and the principal sat behind the camera, their eyes on me.

"Young man," said Principal Erickson. "Aquarius Investments is making very large donations to this school. I think it's not too much to ask for them to get a good feel for the students and the school's spirit. Something you don't know about since you flunked out of every school you've been in."

"I didn't flunk out of anything, I was transferred."

"Open your mouth again, Mr. Knight, besides talking to the interviewer, and I may be tempted to give you detention for the rest of the semester." Erickson turned to the camera guy. "Start recording." The camera guy hit record and the flashing green light stung my eyes.

"Okay," said the interviewer. "First off, how did you spend your summer?"

"How did I spend my summer?"

"These questions are basic, we're just trying to break the ice, here."

"I went to the county fair," I lied.

I couldn't exactly say, "Well, I found out that my friend and I have superpowers and I'm helping another two friends of mine hunt a serial killer. Did I mention my father is Red Flame and my mother is Cold Front?"

The interviewer nodded.

"If you could describe the teachers and school staff, in one word, what would it be?"

Insufferable, I thought.

"Insightful," I said, trying to keep a straight face.

"And what about your classmates? How would you describe them?"

Well, one dropped out and became a vigilante. Another - my crush - has superpowers, but we don't talk about that, because my best friend - Darwin - doesn't know anything.

"High spirited."

"What do you do in your free time?" I paused, thinking of an answer.

"Just... hanging out with friends."

"That'll be all, I think."

"You can get to class now, Mr. Knight," said Principal Erickson. I stood and left the room. Before I did, the school nurse stopped me.

"Mr. Knight, all students must submit a blood test." The nurse looked different since last year.

"We didn't do that last year."

"Please just give me your finger, Mr. Knight."

"Fine," I said, in annoyance.

The nurse took my hand and wiped the tip of my index finger with an alcohol swab. She then proceeded to prick my finger, letting the blood drip into a tiny bottle. I winced, and the nurse smiled almost as if she was enjoying it. The nurse bandaged my finger and I left.

First period was English II. The entire class passed in a blur and only consisted of me, three other students, and Mrs. Reynolds. We went over our summer reading and tried to work out the syllabus for the year. Second period was Algebra II. Of course, the teacher - Mr. Douglas - gave us a huge pop quiz that completely killed us. Darwin, as always, kept passing notes, which I kept knocking away.

Third period was Biology. It was the only class I looked forward to, for two reasons. One, it was the only subject I was good at, and two, I knew the teacher. Dad... I mean, Mr. Knight walked into the room, carrying the teacher's edition textbooks and sipping coffee. The only reason my Dad took the job was to keep an eye on me.

After third period was lunch. Tori and I sat at the edge of a dirty table, which seemed miles away from "the cool table". I stared across the room, looking directly at Darwin, who was sitting with his new girlfriend, Sherry Adams.

"I can tell him," I sighed. "I can tell him. I know I can, I can tell him."

"Are you going to eat your apple?"

"I can't tell him. What was I thinking? Darwin can't know!"

"Apple is a funny word."

"Bryan said it was okay to tell him, so I should."

"Apple."

"What if he calls the cops on me?"

"Apple."

"No, no. Darwin wouldn't do that."

"Apple."

"I can't tell him. I can not tell him."

Fifth period was American Sign Language. I remembered a lot from my fourth-grade class and my teacher was quite impressed. Tori yelled "suck up" at me, when the teacher gave me an A+ on our first assignment. Sixth period was Art. I did less than well. I managed to ruin my first painting of a clown and Mrs. Agate commented very eagerly.

"Well... Norman. That's a... beautiful painting of a mutilated corpse."

"It's a clown."

Seventh period was American History. I was sitting in the last class of the day, the syllabus in front of me, causing severe tiredness, when I heard my teacher say, "Everyone, this is Amelia Tate. This is our new student coming here from Maspeth." The entire classroom booed. I looked up and saw a familiar face.

"Cora?" I whispered. Cora - or Amelia Tate, as Mr. Audes called her - looked shy and walked behind me to the only empty seat. I looked behind me, and Cora shot me a look that said, "Later." I tried to focus on the class but it wasn't easy.

After the end of school, Cora was approached by me and Tori. Tori and I shuffled against the locker-lined walls, trying to avoid the hordes of walking teenagers. Cora stood in front of her locker, pulling stuff out and putting textbooks in.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"Going to school. What are you doing?"

"'Amelia Tate'? That's the worst fake name ever."

"It's my real name, jerk off."

"Cora isn't your real name?" Tori asked.

"It's a nickname, okay, just go."

"Why here, though," I asked. "Why this school?"

"Because I got expelled okay? Just leave me alone." I felt kind of bad after that, and Tori and I left.