34

October 5th

The school year rolled forward, and nothing changed.

Me, Cora, and Bryan didn't do anything about the Chronicle's murders. I stressed that we needed to make our move before the Chronicle scurried off again. Bryan assured me that the Chronicle was still hunting me, so he wouldn't be leaving town anytime soon.

Mom did as she promised and called off Ross at the beginning of the school year, but I convinced her to still give him three months of pay, considering Darwin's family needed it. Darwin's mom was better now, but their medical bills were still unpaid.

Tori and I became closer than ever, with us both being honest. With everything going on, I stopped thinking about her in that way, which was good, as what we both needed right now was a friend. I was having a hard time helping Cora and Bryan hunt the Chronicle and Tori was having a hard time with her parents' divorce.

Red Flame and Cold Front seem to fight almost every day now, though, and every time one of them comes home from a fight, they mutter profanity at one another. They also seemed to fight harder than usual. Dad came home with a dislocated shoulder one night, denying my Mom had anything to do with it.

Mom was acting weird as well. She looked tired and sick all the time, and she had a bunch of odd bruises on the left side of her neck. At first, I thought they were from work, but her suit has armor in it. She was also moody, out more, and barely seemed to notice me - more so than usual. Darwin joked that my Mom was just going through menopause, but my Mother was in her thirties. There was no way she was going through menopause.

Darwin was doing pretty fine and barely seemed to notice any of the weird stuff going on lately. His mom had gotten better and he had a new girlfriend. He got on the football team this year, and he joined Junior ROTC. He was doing great, but I felt like I was betraying him by not telling him the truth. I've been keeping my parents' secret my entire life, but that was their secret. I had no business telling him that. This secret, however, was mine. I had a responsibility to tell him, except I didn't know how.

I dodged Bryan's punch and brought my elbow down. Bryan countered and grabbed my arm, letting my weight fling me to the left, where I jumped back, swerving to avoid Bryan's kick.

Cora sat at one of the computers, typing away at the encrypted messages. Tori was on the railing in front of the clock's face, watching the fight.

"Norman," Bryan grumbled to me, as he dodged another punch. "We said you can tell her, not invite her to the inner circle." Bryan tried to sweep my legs, but I caught myself quick enough and punched him.

"I'm in the inner circle?" Tori squealed with excitement.

"No!" Bryan and Cora both grumbled in unison.

Bryan tried to dislocate my shoulder, but I responded by sweeping his ankles. Bryan quickly caught a pipe, and swung around, kicking me in the lower back. I felt a small pain as I fell to my knees, then regained my composure. Bryan attempted to land a few punches, but I blocked most of them and let Bryan lean into me, his punches pressing harder and harder. I waited for my opening and when Bryan dropped his arms for a split second, I landed a punch of my own, my knuckles crashing against his nose. Bryan fell to the ground.

I reached down to help Bryan up. He grabbed my hand and pulled me downwards, as he rolled onto me. He quickly pulled a switchblade from seemingly nowhere and pressed it against my throat.

"Your enemies won't share your sense of mercy," Bryan warned. "Remember that." Bryan got off of me, slowly retracting his knife.

"Breaking up was the right choice," I heard Tori whisper. I stood and rubbed my sore throat.

"The weekends at the Everdale house must be a riot," I groaned. I knew something was going on when Cora's usual lifeless eyes lit up.

"We've got a hit!" Bryan rushed from the bathroom, his hands still wet with hand soap.

"A hit?" He screamed.

"A hit?" I coughed, as I spat out my water. Bryan and I ran over to Cora's computer, Tori following. On the screen of the computer was the message board we'd seen a thousand times.

User325896: Please send the correct information, R.

Oblivion: The upcoming file will have everything you need.

Oblivion: *sent item (click to see)*

User325896: What is the subject's name?

Oblivion: Thomas Hadrian. He is vital to our secret, and more specifically yours. He will be at the Gapstow Bridge in twenty minutes.

User325896: On my way.

"That's in Central Park," I warned. "How are we gonna get there in twenty minutes?"

"I know," Cora lulled. "Only if we had someone who could fly."

"I know... oh yeah."

I grabbed my sweatshirt and baton (Cora and Bryan gave it to me as a 'welcome to the club' type of thing.). Bryan and Cora got ready as well, and Tori looked at all of us as if it might be the last time she saw us.

"Norman, don't do anything until we get there!" Bryan warned me. I ran to the window.

"I won't!" I assured as I soared over East Yonkers.