47

Tori's car sped with conviction. The street vibrated under the vehicle's power, raving with dark energy. Darwin's heart was hurting was deep surrealism. Darwin's eyes watered in pain.

"We should go back," Cora sighed. "Norman is..."

"Norman will be fine! Right now we need to regroup with Norman's mom. She'll know what to do."

"No, we have to..."

"Jesus!"

Darwin swerved the wheel, avoiding an impactful collision with a figure on the street. Darwin and Cora both screamed aimless profanity, as the tail end of the car slammed against a telephone pole.

"I thought Central Manhattan was supposed to be evacuated," Darwin mumbled.

"It was."

Darwin stepped from the car, as did Cora. In the middle of the street was a young girl, coffee brown eyes peeking out from under dark hair.

"Tori!" Darwin exclaimed. Darwin and Cora rushed to the girl, helping her off the rough pavement.

"Where..." She spoke softly. "Where am I?"

"She escaped?" Cora asked Darwin as they helped Tori to the car.

"How would she do that?"

"It looks like she might've been drugged. Help her inside." Darwin and Cora helped Tori into the back seat before driving towards Sabrina Miller's penthouse.

___

Sabrina dialed Norman's phone several times but to no avail. He was probably still angered at her. Sabrina tried to do the right thing. She exposed Shadow Global for what it was. A large pounding was heard at the front door, raising alarm bells in Sabrina's head. Was that Helena Robson or the Chronicle? Had they come for her? Sabrina opened the door, three scared teenagers stumbling through it.

"Norman and Mr. Knight," Cora gasped. "They've been taken."

"Taken?" Sabrina exclaimed. "What are you talking about?"

"Norman and Mr. Knight went to stop the Chronicle. He killed Robson."

"That means he'll have control of Shadow Global. That's not good. Does he think he can win?"

"He's planning to run," Darwin explained. "The Shadow Global guards will hold everyone off while he flees." Sabrina shook her head.

"He wouldn't do that. If he wants to control Shadow Global he's planning something else. Something worse."

"Like what?" Tori asked.

"Maybe he wanted Norman's powers?" Cora suggested. "I mean that's what this has all been about, right? The Chronicle's hunt for Norman?"

"Wait," Tori said. "So far, we've found out the only people he's killed are either people he was paid to kill or people with powers."

"Well, how many people with powers could there be?" Darwin pondered.

"Trust me," Sabrina interjected. "A lot, and not just in New York."

"Alright, well Bryan's evil brother stole Norman's powers, so..."

"Wait, Wait!" Tori warned. "Stole not borrowed?"

"I don't know." Tori's eyes widened.

"Mathew told me to take someone's powers permanently they had to be dead."

Cora and Darwin looked at each other.

"Where is my son?" Sabrina commanded.

"He's alive!" Cora proclaimed. "He has to be!"

"What happened to him?" Tori asked.

"He was shot," Cora said. "But he's alive, I know it!"

"You didn't go back for him?" Tori yelled at Cora.

"At least we were trying to help him!"

"By letting him bleed out?"

"At least we care about him!" Tori shoved Cora. Cora growled. The energy from Cora's and Tori's abilities crackled throughout the penthouse atmosphere.

"Guys," Darwin warned. "We need to get Mr. Knight and Bryan back. We can't focus on each other."

"What do we do?" Tori calmed down.

"Nothing," Sabrina warned. "Let me get them back. You three stay here and..."

A strong fist knocked twice on the door. Sabrina walked to the door cautiously. The door immediately swung open, and police officers marched inside with power and authority.

"What's going on?" Sabrina demanded.

An officer put cuffs on her.

"Sabrina Miller, you are under arrest!"

___

Well, I'm not dead, so... yay? I guess? I blinked my eyes open and looked around in confusion. I was in a strange, tent-like, hut. I was laid out on a cot, and my stomach was bandaged heavily. I tried to move but yelled out in pain and laid back.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," a voice spoke. I turned my head and saw a man walk through the hut. He was dressed like a hermit. He wore dirty old clothes. His short blond hair and stumble were dirty.

"Where am I?" I asked. "Who are you?" The man picked up a thermos and sipped from it.

"I'm Norman Knight," he said. He made eye contact with me. "I'm the real Guardian."