10

Not trying to sound like an ungrateful damsel in distress, but why didn't Bryan help me? He could've put Phil down in a single move, but he didn't.

Putting the thought away I brought myself into the present. Me and Darwin sat at the home's mini bar, which had been swiped of all alcoholic beverages by Kimberly's parents. The girl who was having fun playing bartender, gave me vitamin water and Darwin a root beer.

"Do you see how Tori put him in his place? That was awesome."

"Yeah, it was."

"You wanna know something else?"

"What?"

"She likes you." I laughed.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"You heard me, man. Trust me. I know how ladies work."

I rolled my eyes.

"Sure thing, Mr. Boyfriend-who-asked-girlfriend-what-a-period-was."

"I told you it was a joke!"

"Whatever, Casanova."

"Just hear me out. No girl is gonna stand up to a bully like that for any guy."

"For a friend, they would."

"Man, I'm telling you, she likes you."

I turned my head. Across the room, Tori and Bryan sat on the couch. Tori was giggling as Bryan whispered something in her ear. The more she giggled, the more my heart sank.

"Likes me, huh?" I said, nodding toward them. I took a sip of my drink and walked off. As I was leaving the house, a hand rested on my shoulder. It was Bryan.

"Where are you going, man?" Bryan asked me.

"I thought I'd just take the bus home."

"Before you go I need to talk to you. Man to man."

"Oh, okay, let me help you find a man." To my surprise, he didn't laugh, or even smile. His expression remained dead serious. Just like in the car drive when we passed by the mysterious crime scene. "Um, okay."

I followed Bryan across the foyer to the back, glass, door, which led onto a large, wooden, deck.

"Is this important?" I asked.

"Deadly."

"Okay."

I was assuming this was about Tori. He knew. He knew that I liked her. Crap.

"What's this about?" I asked.

"Just listen."

"Okay," I said, turning away from him.

___

As Norman turned, Phil approached. Bryan extended his hand, Phil placed a wad of cash in it and Bryan folded his arms behind his back.

___

I turned just in time to see Phil and a second guy standing by Bryan.

"Crap," I said, catching on.

"Sorry," Bryan said. "But you should stay away from Tori."

"We're just friends, dickwad."

"That's not what I saw."

"If I get out of this mess you are so dead."

"Like I'm afraid of a skinny kid with emotional problems."

"I..!" Crap, he's right.

"Well if you're so tough," I said. "Maybe you should fight me yourself instead of having the hired help do it for you."

For a split second, he looked like he might do it, then he gestured the two brutes forward.

Okay, okay. What did I remember from seeing my parents fight on TV all those times? The two rushed forward.

I do remember this...

I fell against the railing to my left as Phil threw a punch at me. While he was still comprehending what was happening, I raised my sneakered foot and struck his rib cage as hard as I possibly could. I growled as pain shot through my leg. I heard a deafening snap coming from both my leg and Phil's rib cage. Phil fell to the right and crashed into a glass table.

I groaned and held my leg.

The other guy looked shocked for a second then ran at me. I raised my fist but I was too slow. A fist slammed into my cheekbone at the speed of light. My head jerked backward with a cracking sound. My vision blurred and I fell to my knees.

"Ouch," I groaned, my voice sounding like a distant echo.

I raised my shaking hand to my mouth. I coughed ruggedly and brought my hand down. It felt warm and sticky and as my vision cleared, I realized there was a scarlet color that dressed my hand. I tried to yell Darwin and Tori's names but I couldn't tell if I had. I kept thinking about it in my mind and eventually, I heard my broken voice yell, "Darwin! Tor... Tori..."

Phil and the brute approached me. I slowly stood, feeling like I was in maple syrup. The brute charged me. I felt behind me and felt a large pipe. It was so heavy I had to wrap both hands around it. I pulled and it flew forward, over me, and smacked the brute square in the forehead.

The brute fell back growling, as Phil tackled me, his arms squeezing around my stomach. I gagged as the air was knocked from my lungs. My vision turned to black and I felt dizzy.

Phil lifted me into the air and threw me onto the wooden deck, a sharp rock stabbing my back. I tried to stand but I couldn't. I felt as if I had no control over my body. Like my mind was on a kite, floating farther and farther away. Something hard hit my shoulder, making me gasp. I felt the same pain in my hip. Then again in my left leg. They were kicking me.

"Help," I croaked.

A burning pain seared into my head as another kick slammed into my head.

My vision cleared. My body became numb. The black sky, which was painted in gray clouds, looked beautiful. It was more than beautiful. It was fantastic. The sound of thunder blended into my ears. The sky turned to light and I felt the energy burning through my body and a zapping sound in my ears.

Suddenly I was up. I mean... just up. Levitating above the two boys.

"What the...!" Phil gasped.

I extended my arms towards them.

"Suck my dick!" I shouted.

A loud zap pierced the air and a bright flash followed, the two boys falling back, screaming.

My knees screamed in pain as I fell to the deck.

"Damn!" I yelled.

Panic and adrenaline filled my chest and I did the only thing I thought to do. I grabbed the railing and flung myself over.