13

"What happened?" Sabrina questioned the man and the two teenagers sitting quietly in the hospital waiting room.

Tori's eyes were wide with concern and glossy with tears, "I don't know. I... I went to the bathroom and when I came back, Darwin said that he had left."

"I thought he had left," Darwin corrected. "I'm not sure what happened."

"Tori, why don't you and Darwin go to the cafeteria for a while and get something to eat," said Ted. "Sabrina and I will come and get you as soon as we know anything."

Tori nodded tiredly and Darwin followed her out.

"What happened?" Sabrina demanded once more.

"I'm not sure," Ted responded. "He stumbled inside and he was bloody and bruised. He passed out."

"Who did this to him?" Sabrina asked, growing angrier.

"I don't know. But before he passed out he said... he is not what he seems..."

"Who?"

"I don't know. I'm calling Mann and having him look into everyone that was at that party."

_________

I dreamed some normal things, demons killing, blood red skies, things like that.

The field I was in was barren and gray. The small village that surrounded me was torn apart, burning with glowing embers. I stood there, a mysterious wall in my chest blocking out all other emotions. People were rushing past me, screaming in utter fear and terror.

I started to run towards it. It was looming over the village. The blasphemous creature is looking for the metallic taste of blood.

"Little hero," its jagged mouth creaked open. "by the blood of thy cloak, the ones you care for shalt be slain by thy sword."

"Stop talking like you're King Arthur!" I shouted at the demonic shadow standing before me.

A low guttural sound that I perceived to be laughter came from the creature's wheezing chest.

"Everyone and everything you love will be taken. And I shall remain victorious... Old friend."

My eyes snapped open, the fluorescent lighting from above, stinging my eyes.

"Woah," I coughed.

The pain from inside of me hit like a ton of bricks. My chest burned, my legs were sore, and my back stung all over. My mind was completely foggy, and although I could remember the previous events, I had no idea how long ago they were. It felt as if I had been asleep for years.

"Hello?" I groaned, looking around the small hospital room.

The door opened and a pretty, college-aged woman walked in. Her uniform looked like something a nurse might wear. Her eyes widened in shock once she saw me and immediately turned back through the door.

"Doctor!" I heard her shout. "He's awake!"

A tall man ran in, looking as shocked as the nurse was.

"Goodness," He gasped. "You gave us a scare."

"Where am I?"

"You're at the hospital. Let me get your parents, I'll be right back."

"Hey, wait, I...." He left the room. "Alright then."

I sat there for about ten minutes, staring at the ceiling. I closed my eyes for a little bit and tried to clear my fogged-up mind. A cold breeze passed over me, as the door clicked open.

"You're back?"

Something sharp prickled against my throat.

"Open your eyes and you're dead," a slick, feminine, voice whispered into my ear.

What was this, Attack Norman Week?

"Look, I..."

"Shut up, and listen." A hand brushed against mine. "Follow these directions tomorrow after school. There's someone who wants to talk to you."

The door clicked again and I sighed, my eyes snapping open, the fluorescents stinging my bare eyes. The door opened again and I shouted out, getting ready to throw a metal tray at the figures walking through the door.

"Hey!" My Dad shouted. "It's us!"

My Mom and the doctor rushed in right after. I dropped the tray.

"I..! I..! I'm sorry, I....!"

My Mom wrapped her arms around me and kissed my forehead.

"Norman...," She said. "What happened to you?"

"Who did this to you?" Dad asked, his hand glowing warm with heat.

"I..." The events of last night came back to me in bits and pieces. But once it all came back, my mouth went dry. "I... was mugged," I say. "I fought 'em off."

"Detective Mann will be here soon. You're going to have to give a statement."

I nodded.

"Alright."

"Norman, when you came inside, you said, 'he is not what he seems'."

I swallowed, hard. I should tell them. But if they figure out I have powers, I... I just keep seeing them, Dad pressuring me to take on the Red Flame mantle, and my Mom grooming me for villainy. I didn't want that. I wanted to be normal. Un-noticeable, like I was, until last night.

"I... I don't remember."

I could see on my mother's face she didn't believe me, but she shook her head and ruffled my hair.

"It's fine."