23

I screamed as I fell thirty stories straight past the cliff and down I-87. The thought of flying never occurred to me, until I slammed into something that felt plastic and mushy.

"Why?" I croaked into the mic.

"Sorry, but you need to be close to the truck," Cora answered.

"Truck?" I realized I was in the back of a garbage truck, bad smells tickling my nose. I stood, my balance a little thrown.

"Where is it?"

"Two cars ahead. Lane to your right."

I jumped up and grabbed the side of the metal truck. Two cars ahead in a separate lane was a large semi.

"How the hell am I going to get to it without people noticing?"

"Wait til you hit Massenburg Tunnel. You'll be under for thirty seconds so make it quick."

"Okay, well, how do I get in?"

"We'll walk you through it." Thirty feet ahead, the two lanes snaked under Massenburg Tunnel.

"Can you fly towards it?" Bryan asked me.

"I think so.... maybe."

"Maybe?"

"I just found out I could fly like five minutes ago, cut me some slack."

"Norman, the tunnel is coming up."

"I see it." The day turned to night, except for the yellow strobe lights on the side of the bricked walls.

"Go!" I fly upwards, feeling weightless for a moment. My head almost crashed into a metal beam, before I ducked and fell on the roof of the semi.

"Go to the rear doors. And hurry you've got twenty seconds." I slid backward and fell off the roof. I gripped the back lock and tried not to slide.

"How do I get in?"

"Your electricity."

"I... haven't exactly... mastered that aspect of my powers."

"Are you kidding me?" Cora asked. "You have performance issues?" My face turned warm.

"Would you like to come down here and do it yourself?"

"Wait!" Bryan yelled. "There's someone else in there." I felt around.

"Guys, the lock is already broken." The doors swung outward and I clutched the bottom pane. A figure approached the edge.

"Sorry, kiddo, but this hard drive is all mine."

"Mo... I mean... Cold Front!"

Well... this is awkward....