Chapter 24: Jared

Jared's POV

"Remind me why I'm doing this," Jared groaned. He sat in the passenger seat of Alana's car. They were parked in front of the Murphys's house, and were going to sleep over.

"Jared, you're doing this so you can spend time with your friends," Alana replied calmly.

"I mean, there's Evan and you, but I hate Connor! And I barely know Jeremy or Michael, and Zoe..."

"Don't even think about it, Jared." Alana stared him down. Jared decided that she was a very protective girlfriend. He still wasn't over the fact that she and Zoe were dating. He had never seen them even talk to each other before they... Jared just wished people would tell him things. 

He supposed if he were here for any reason it was to get closer to someone. Anyone. He just needed someone to trust him. Evan had been hanging out with Connor, without Jared of course, and it wasn't like Zoe or Alana would ask him to hang out. Plus, he barely knew Jeremy or Michael, but they seemed happy enough on their own. Jared just wished someone would want to spend time with him. 

The pair walked up to the door of the Murphys's house. Alana knocked on the door a few times, before it was flung open by Zoe. "Hey guys!"

"WHO IS IT?" A voice yelled. Connor.

"WHY DON'T YOU COME HERE AND FIND OUT?" Zoe called back.

"FINE!!!!"

A figure poked his head out the door, but it wasn't Connor. "Evan?" Jared asked, "When did you get here?"

"I..."

"SHUT UP KLEINMAN!" Connor yelled, sprinting to the door.

"I didn't even say anything!"

"You were thinking something!"

"Wha- What the hell? It's not like you weren't!"

"You said something to Evan!"

"Am I not allowed to?"

Zoe and Evan shared a concerned glance, before Zoe interjected, "Why don't you guys come inside? You can put your stuff in the basement."

Connor sighed and stepped aside, allowing Jared and Alana to enter, and the five of them wandered down to the basement.

"Well, Jeremy and Michael aren't here yet... but we could do something," Zoe said. "Wait!" She exclaimed. "Everyone, sit in a circle!"

No one was quite sure what was going on, but everyone complied. "Zoe... why are you making us sit in this creepy cult circle?" Connor asked. Jared snickered.

"It's not a cult circle! We're literally just sitting in a circle!"

"Yeah. Like a cult," Jared replied. Connor looked at him, and did he... smile?

"Shut up! It's just so everyone can see everyone else!"

"So... what are we doing?" Alana questioned.

"Well, I hadn't gotten that far yet..."

"Zoe!" Alana cried, frowning.

"Love you!" Zoe chirped sweetly. A knock must've sounded on the door, because Zoe immediately sprang up yelling, "I'LL GET IT!" even though everyone was right there. She grabbed Alana's hand and pulled her girlfriend upstairs with her.

"D-did you guys here that? Or..." Evan stuttered.

"Glad I'm not the only one," Jared responded. Evan smiled lightly, less concerned that he didn't actually hear anyone knocking. "So, what's up?"