Chapter 12 - The Hearing

***TRIGGER WARNING FOR A MINOR PANIC ATTACK***

12 - The Hearing

Harry jumped up when Hermione burst into the room. "I did it Harry! I got the appeal!" she said, hugging him.

"Great! How's it look?" Harry asked, ignoring Malfoy's flinch to her sudden entrance.

"I think it's good Harry, but there's a problem. The Chief Warlock is hellbent on conviction, but I gave him the noose to choke himself on. He's such a nasty jerk that even the other diehard anti-Death Eaters don't want anything to do with him. He disrespected me, my age, my parents... he made Daphne and Theo cry."

Malfoy stood up. "What?"

"It's okay, Malfoy, I took care of them."

"Theo came?" he asked, surprised.

"I told you last night."

"I didn't believe you."

"Well, your friends showed up and went to the mat for you. But we don't have forever. Harry... you might have to do what we talked about."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, it'll work, but only if you really want to make him squirm."

"Come on, let's go. You ready?" Harry asked.

Malfoy gave a curt nod, he was shaking like a leaf.

"Oh wait, here I made this last night. Drink it," Hermione ordered.

"What is..." he started.

"It's a Calming Drought. It should stop the tremors and ease your anticipation."

Malfoy gave Hermione a look of gratitude that she couldn't help but see. "Thank you," he said, drinking it. Immediately, the shaking subsided. "Really... thank you."

"No problem, Malfoy."

"Let's go," Harry urged, escorting them back into the courtroom.

Malfoy kept his eyes on the floor, again, regardless of the Calming Potion. He was too afraid to look his jurors in the eye. He sat in the only chair, the ones with chains on it and looked as though he was about to bolt if they moved. He wanted nothing to do with being restrained.

"Chief Warlock, the defendant Draco Lucius Malfoy is present and I will act as arbitrator and witness to the defense, Warlock Harry James Potter."

"Warlock Granger sit down or leave. Only one arbitrator is needed," the Chief Warlock growled.

"Actually, there's been several precedents where..." she began.

"I don't care! Sit down or leave the courtroom."

"I'll sit for now. I'm still a warlock," she said and entered the bench area sitting next to Professor Flitwick.

"Can you make this quick Potter? It's nearly lunch," the Chief Warlock grumbled.

His hand rested on the fat budge of his stomach. Corpulent bastard, Harry thought. He was the block he'd been fighting against since it started.

"No, I will not make it quick. I'm going to draw this out for as long as it takes, McLaggen!" Harry growled. Malfoy looked at him astonished. Of course, he had no idea what Hermione's plan was.

"How dare you talk to me like that! I can hold you in contempt!"

"Go ahead. I'd love to see the headlines. Picture this 'Old, pudgy Chief Warlock throws one of his own court members, the Savior of the Wizarding World, into Azkaban... what were they arguing about? See page 2, 3 and 4 for the shocking reveal into the Wizengamot proceedings!' Has a nice rang to it, don't you think?" Harry sneered. Malfoy froze, waiting for the fallout.