11. Winning team

~•TANIA'S POV•~

"HOW WAS WORK TODAY?" was the first question that popped out the minute mom walked out of her study,heavy with stacks of files and documents. "Wait,lemme help you with thes-

She took a step backwards "No! Um..i meant never mind,i'm good,i don't need help with any of these"

Its been hours since we ate dinner,she said something about eating when its 6 pm,though i hate to sound like a critic but i have to admit how crazy mother gets when it comes to time.

Since Dad is out on a business trip,i have nobody to talk to except my mom.

My busy mom.

She hurried past me "As for the question,work was fine today, and you? How was school?"

Happy to hear her talk about my school,i closed the study door behind her " It was good,we are back to taking lessons except for literature,still revision based".

Not bothering to look at me in the face,she gave a groan as she moved into the living room,she set her piles of files on the center table.

"That's er- good to know" she gave a little shrug before she slumped on the chair.

"Yeah right"

Gently i settled on a couch and watched her.

"Tania?" she gathered few documents,her eyes checking each of its leaflets.

"Yes,mom?"

"Please can you quickly make me a cup of tea?"

"Sure".

With quick steps,i got into the dinning room . Mother drinks tea every time she is about to work,i don't know why but i used to believe that in this kind of situation,coffee works better.

I poured enough cups of water into the electric kettle and plugged it on the socket before I joined her in the room.

"Tell me,Tania,were you given an assessment today? Like a test or something?"

I opened my mouth to speak but surprisingly words left me.

I don't know i don't know,how do i explain that i was asked a question in the class but i failed to give the right answer because i was kinda drooling over some transfer guy,i should add scared of the transfer student to make it sound serious-

"Tania? " she lets out a chuckle "I just asked you a question?"

"No assessments,like i said earlier,we we...just started having proper lessons-

She cuts in with a lopsided smirk "Except for literature class where its all revision-based,so tell me,were you asked any questions..at all?"

Why is that so important to you,Mrs Owens?

I spoke with an heavy breath "I...yes yes. I mean yeah".

"And you did it well ?"

"Yes.. "

She kept her gaze fixed on me "You need to see the expression on your face right now, shocking I'd rather say." she closed her eyes and opened it .

"Forgive me, i just wanted to know if you haven't stepped back from the winning team".

I inhaled a deep breath,scared for myself "I am..still on the winning team,mom".

She shot me a broad smile,and that was the first time i realized mom had a dimple to her left side,she rarely smiled.

Mothers...

Just this morning she made me go through hell itself,now she is acting like a mother?