09. The bet.

~ZAYN POV~

"And the first guy told the other guy, hey what the hell do you think you are doing, and  the other guy laughed hysterically...

John's voice trailed off the minute I saw her step into the cafeteria with that angry expression that was quite similar to the one she had on when I answered that questions in her stead. All I did was help her out? Any student worth her salt should know that was done with the purest of intentions.

Just when I thought she would acknowledge me for saving her ass the second time, she bailed out on me..

Again.

Girls and attitudes.

I averted my gaze and checked out the guys on my table, they were my new circle of friends, John, Charlie,and Kay. They invited me to their table right after the girl ran out of the class.

John, the shortest guy among us was seated beside me, narrating the movie he watched last night ,because he seriously believed I used the actor's fighting skills on Bobby, the bully.

"Wow, that's cool..l love the movie already. " Kay grinned happily . Short, handsome,and soft-spoken. He was the nerd among the three.

He is handsome,alright but not better than I am.

Aw c'mon it's not pride, it's high self esteem, okay?

"You guys really need to watch the movie" John resumed back to eating.

You mean you are jealous of Brenda's boyfriend?

"What's going on over there?  " Charlie,the cute kind of fat was the first to turn around towards the direction the noise was coming from. We all followed suit, and I saw her again, glaring back at me now.

"Um... Isn't the snob supposed to cleaning your trainers by now? "Charlie threw his quizzical face my way.

I ate a forkful of spaghetti, all smiles, I can't just let these guys think mere girls like her give me hard times.

"You know, girls... and how they act with guys who saved them from bullies, you know the 'awwwww thank you for saving me 'syndrome " John joined in, he was as surprised and inquisitive as Charlie .

"None of that happened?  No Awwwwww? No hugs and kisses? " he added.

Kay snorted "Of course it's the snob, how on earth do you expect any of that to happen? ".

"Why is she called a Snob? "I had no choice, I needed to ask.

He shrugged "Well... history had it that  she walks like a loner, had no friends, one time... They said she has a phobia.. for people".

"They?  Who are they? " I perched on my chair, getting interested in the topic.

John cuts in "Rumour mongers, dude".

"Ever since I got admitted into Brights ville,a lot of students made friends with each other but her?  She acts like she doesn't give a damn about everybody" he added with a hint of sincerity.

Charlie picked up his bottle of water "Trust me, I know names for people like her, they are called 'Recluse'"

I huffed, I mean, why do i have to believe in rumours this much?  It might be a different story, you know.

Moreover I don't want to dwell on that bully's words.

You need to know, saving the Snob is the biggest mistake you 've ever made.

"What if she is not like that? What if it's a complete different story? "

The three exchanged quick glances, they must be contemplating on what I was about to say.

But trust me, I won't judge.

"What?  I know what I am saying-

Kay raised a brow at me "Did she thank you for saving her from the shackles of Gigi and Bob?"

"Well.. Nope, she didn't -

Charlie chuckled as he spoke "That explains it, man I hate ingrates like that".

"What if she is not an ingrate? "

Kay snapped his finger "Yeah true, what if she is just a she wolf in sheep clothing?  Maybe she is possessed -

John playfully poked him, and for some reasons I feel they were not seeing things the way I saw it, I wasn't brought up to never judge or jump into conclusion,no matter what the case may be.

Guess it's time to give them lessons from my diary.

"You are imagining things, Kay.. This is reality, not some teenwolf era, okay... Okay.. I will handle this my own way. "

They got so quiet I was impelled to spill out what I had in mind,how badly I wanted to prove them wrong.

"I am willing to try and see things for myself, guys... "

Kay rolled his eyes upward "You need to hear how you sound right now ".

"Kay, I am serious... I will find a way to tell you guys how different people can be, and how wrong it is to believe rumours over people"

"It used to be a rumour one time, but it's a fact, a rumour-turned fact" Kay protested.

John gave Charlie a knowing look before turning to my direction "Cool, bet it is".

What?!

"Bet? I wasn't -

Charlie licked his lips "That's how it goes, dude... When you want to prove things to your friends, it's called bet"

"Okay... Okay, on what grounds? "

"That she is not a snob. " John wiped his mouth with a tissue.

"You have three weeks to prove your point but if you fail to keep to your word..um.... " John's eyes scanned the hall as he touched his lips.

Kay and Charlie smiled at him as soon as he winked at them.

Seriously these guys really have these code glances that makes me feel so scared.

Kay grinned at me, his eyes not leaving mine. With that little gesture, my stomach groaned.

"...you get to be Bobby's servant for a month ".