chapter 9-Awkward Much

Chapter 9

I faked illness in my last class of the day and snuck out of school to walk home. Walking home I was wondering how it seemed no matter what I did everyday just seemed to get worse for me. How can I fix this? Man, what I wouldn’t give to be that wallflower like I use to be.

“Get your ghost butt in here Sarah I know you hear me,” I scream as I run up the stairs to my room. She was there waiting for me on my bed. “Ok, I’m ready. I want to know what the heck is going on here.”

“Good. Well sit down and try to be quiet until I tell you everything. Do you remember what I told you before?” I nodded. “Great then we don’t need to go over that again. Now back to the mate thing. You have a mate and by your age I figure there are many males at your school who is at the prime mating age.” I raise an eyebrow but she holds a finger up to me to stop me.

“You are not like other wolves or humans for that matter. You have something that all of them would kill for. Being a spirit gonja you don’t control spirits but since you are the one they can ‘communicate fully’ with they will be protective of you. Spirits will also be at your disposal to help on many different levels. This would make your mate and your pack the most powerful in the world throughout your lifetime. In essence your mate will become Alpha of whichever pack you are associated with no matter the blood line of the current Alpha wolf. You see this is important because the wolves now believe they know who the next Alpha will be. Which by blood rite would be the son of the current Alpha.”

“Oh boy,” was the only thing I could say. How could I change the order of power in a pack? That’s just crazy talk…ok says the girl talking to a ghost. Could things be more screwed up?

She continued, “Until you know who your mate is you have to keep your ‘gift’ a secret from everyone. The only exception would be your father…or in your case since your father isn’t here the responsibility would go to your mother. Because if they all knew what you were you would be in a great deal of danger.”

“How do you know all of this? Is it an afterlife thing, you know that you are all knowing or something?” I inquired.

She got very serious, even more so like she was sad or something, “No. I was the last spirit gonja Tiffany.”

“Oh no…you mean your ‘mate’ chose someone else?” she nodded. “Why would he do that is you were his mate?”

“Because despite the entire werewolf fairytales out there it’s not as if you don’t have some choice in the matter, albeit limited you still have choices. The only thing is once you choose your mate; he still has a choice of his own. Then once your mate and you have chosen the bond you feel is just like they say in all the stories; you can’t stand to be away from them for a minute, you feel their extreme emotions, and you would rather die than part from them.” She was almost whispering the end.

“Then why did you not choose someone else like he did?” I was looking at her quizzically.

“Because when you or rather when a gonja chooses a mate it is done the bond is there whether the mate feels it or not. It cannot be reversed. If they choose someone else and the other person accepts they only feel the bond with the other person. While you or rather I should say I felt the bond to Russell and it killed me because he didn’t choose me. You will not suffer my fate Tiffany I will keep that from happening to you I promise.” She said the last with so much fervor I believed her.