Chapter 53

The following morning Mal was awake for more than an hour before she realized that she felt better.

It was the two days later. Scavenging was regular basis for Mal, although the scavenging was taking up the Jackson town, cleaning up any Infected loose around the areas, and since they already scouted and took everything there, it wasn't a useful time to find more supplies. She lay in bed and rereading "The Hunger Games".

She puts her bookmark, got up, washed, dressed, and went downstairs for lunch. The food court set out a plate of tomato soup and tuna sandwich. She ate with Sheree and Tucker, Tucker showing his collection of Famous Infected Cards. She snickered when he, of course, showed the Bounty Hunter Negan.

"Maybe someday I'll be a famous Bounty Hunter," said Tucker.

"Doubt it."

"You'll be famous for being the chattiest person in the Sanctuary." Said Mal.

Sheree brightened and shocked. "Whoa! Since when did you became funny?"

"I can be funny when I want."

"You guys are a couple of totally jerks," said Tucker, pouting a big lip. "I thought you love me, Mal."

"Eek!" Said Sheree shyly. "It's a Roamer. Quick, run for your life Mal. He'll eat you with his love."

Mal laughed as Tucker miserably throws his food at Sheree and they laughed together. Then Mal stopped laughing, looking in space, having memories of her with the RK's, her friends, and the children.

"Mal? What's wrong?" Murmured Sheree.

"Nothings wrong. It's just... I have friends like you. If you've met them, you would of like each other." She deeply smiles to herself. "I miss them."

"I hope we get to see them," said Sheree. "Maybe Negan will let you see them."

"Speaking about friends, do you have any friends that are guys?"

"Knock it off, Tucker." Sheree made a rude gesture at him.

He raise his hands in surrender. "Well, I'm just saying-"

"Two are older than me and two are kids. You do remind me of Lalon, Tucker. A flirty boy, maybe not as romantic type as you."

He smirked, leaning back as he ruffs his collar up. "Of course I am a romantic. You girls love me."

As Mal finished her meal she is suppose to go with Alec over to scout over a little town up west from Jackson City. They walked for a mile up through the valley, down by the river where the bridge is overtop of their heads, climbing up the ridges of the mountains. Mal seen forest before but in this particular place, there's no human made buildings. It's all wildlife, full of life and lush in deep green.

They walk the rest of the way in relative silence, Mal sensing that Alec had exhausted his capacity for conversation for the time being. He wasn't a big talk-out-your-feelings guy, and Mal got that. He'd give him a little space, and she understands that she was also a person to talk or have conversations well.

Once walking three miles away they pulled up to a small town, a very tiny town that looked empty than it appears. To the front is warehouse and stores beside it. It wasn't much, just a small strip of run- down buildings - a gas station connected to a chain fast food restaurant, a drugstore, and a small factory. The front windows of the drugstore were shattered from the outside, but other than that, the places looked somewhat intact. They approached cautiously, Mal with her camo knife, Alec with a camouflage crossbow poised threateningly on his shoulder, ready to shoot if necessary. They made their way into the drugstore first, stepping around the shards of broken glass and surveying the picked-over remains of the store.