Chapter 15

Everyone went high alert on the two men in front of them; Vix and Lalon were the first ones to raise their weapons as the skinny man raised his arms. "Whoa! It's OK, kiddies. Look, I'm not armed... well except this knife on me," he moved his vest away, showing a Bowie knife in the sheath, "I'm just gonna drop my weapons to you and we'll just talk."

He grab it, Mal insistently drew her Colt, cocking the hammer for warning and his grey eyes tensed. Drawing it out, showing it off and threw the knife below Lugh's feet.

The other broad, grey hair man stood still, holding himself high as Mal pointed at him, telling him that she can play that game of who's leader and tough. "Ted? Put it down." The man named Ted grunts, dropping the pistol before Lalon picks all the weapons up.

"The name's Gareth and this here is Ted. What's your name, kid?"

Silence became the answer. "It's okay. We won't harm a bunch of kids."

"Names Kevin," Lugh said, keeping the oath of using different names, "this is Helen, Drake, and Delaney." Gareth offers a hand at Lugh as he shakes it.

"Well, the pleasure is all mine Kevin. Man, I never thought I would be able to see some kids in the fuckin' Ruins." He takes himself to the kitchen, opening the cabinet where dust blew into his face, coughing as he takes out a wine bottle, full of wine in it, "Especially ones who are... women. No offense, just- the pretty ones die quickly."

Mal taps her thigh, trying to be not rational about that comment. Gareth did had a look on Vix and Mal weirdly. Capping the pipe off, Ted searches for glass and brings them to Gareth and fills them up.

Mal follows them, standing across from them and Gareth drinks and sighs long. "Damn, that's one fine wine."

"Where did you come from?" Mal said persistently.

"Ted and I were gathering some supplies around this neighborhood when the herd came by. And that's where we meet you lovelies," he takes another swig, Mal briefly tenses on the nickname. She had to find some answers about these people. So she had to tease them, let them know that its only them than the RK's and the kids.

She spots Johan peeking out the drawer, wide eyes in curiosity and fear at the same time. She flicks her index finger, signal her forward and she closes the door slowly. "You went to the town first?" Vix asked.

"No," replied the grisly voice Ted, "Saw the symbol of Negan- the Saviors- we backed away."

"Heard about him, from the Famous Cards. Thought that stealing or entering his area would be bad news. Want one?" He hands a glass to them, all expect Mal shaking their heads.

"You have a group?" Mal insistently said. Their eyes lowered down. Mal see something off; their eyes didn't read as much sorrow, only lost but falsely.

"We did in Philadelphia. We used to help people, we saved people," Gareth's voice was shaky, "Then they came in and they-" he doubled over in the drink again, clutching his hand. "After that..." He trailed off. Mal didn't feel the slightest twinge of sympathy. Everyone had been through something, lost people. "What about you?"

"A farm until scavengers took over. Lost many. We're the only ones that survived."

"I'm truly sorry to hear that." Gareth said as his mirth disappeared. He filled up his shot glass then held it out in a toast. "To better days and new friends. And to our dead-may they be in a better place. And shit happens..." The two of them raised their glasses then drank.

Gareth moved setting his glass down and caught Mal looking at him and he was flattered.

"You fellas are a long way from Philadelphia." Lalon commented.