Chapter 49

Today is the day where Mal is gonna go with a group of Saviors and scout along a place looking for supplies. She was relieved and nervous at the same time. She finally can go out the perimeters of these gates and outside to where the Ruins laid, however she gingerly worried about working with people. She didn't had anyone come in and threaten her for what she'd done in Farmington but, you can never be sure.

She goes towards the main entrance of the gate where Tucker is inside a SUV Chevy car on the drivers wheel. He gave a wave at Mal and she hands one back as she heads towards Negan in the same cartoon clothes: leather jacket, dark jeans, leather boots, but the jacket showed his dark shirt underneath. He was with group of older men, the one bulky man looked older than three of the young guys. He had this frown on him, glancing at her with a scowl.

"Mal, meet our group that's coming with us. The grumpy bastard there is Floyd, that sack of shit over is Jamison and these three halfwits are Jeffery, Dean and Morgan." Mal offers the men a small smile that most of them return. "So you ready?"

"I've done this before. Not the first time doing this."

"Oh, so you are experienced. It's alright, you are a horny teenager. Just don't spread the word." He wiggled his eyebrows and Mal sighed, giving him the eye, not caring if Negan doesn't like her deadly stare.

They left at the afternoon in the car; the plan is Tucker and Jamison will stop and let Negan, Mal, and the others to walk towards a mall that they haven't checked around, and to see if they can use it as an outpost. Tucker and Jamison will be staying with the car as they head back into Jackson which is a quarter mile away from where Mal is, and to clear the city from the Infected and Runners that Mal and Negan brought in. Negan and his Saviors had radios on them in case things go wrong and Tucker and Jamison have to come back for them. So far Negan told Mal he had a few outpost around Jackson and farther south.

After the car stops, once they were clear of any Infected range, Tucker addressed Negan as he pats his shoulder and laughs. He grabs his so-called "dirty girl" a kiss right on the chained barrel.

"Are you gonna stand there and make out with your wood or are you gonna be useful," Mal said drily, crossing her arms.

Negan's eyebrows nearly shot off his face. "Did Mal the serial killer make a sex joke!?" he yelled, "Mal fuckin' Mal!? Misses Goody Two-Shoes!?"

Aaand, that's enough of Negan for now. Mal grabbed her backpack and checked the knife she can have, not a gun since she still can't use a gun. She feels naked without her Colt. "Why can't I use a gun."

"Mal," said Negan with thin patience, "we still need some group therapy sessions so when I trust you completely then I'll give you a gun."

"Fine," Mal said, and pushed past him.

Then the car leaves as the group began climbing the slope of a hill that rose gently from the left-handed side of the road.

There was a narrower road at the too of the hill, and they followed that in silence. By sunset they'd entered a series of steeper hills an valleys that were shaded by massive oak trees with cool green leaves. They group cautioned themselves to be quiet as they climbed to the top of a ridge that overlooked a small county lane. At the curve of the road was a small cottage with a fenced yard and an elm tree so gnarled and ancient that it looked like the world had grown up around it. Two figures stood in the yard, but they were too small to see. Morgan flattened out at the top of the ridge, pulling out binoculars. "Infected," he said in a quiet tone. "One tall man and teenage girl."

Negan plucked a stalk of sweet grass and put it between his teeth. "They aren't a threat. Leave them be, they hadn't notice us or our scent."

They left, and walked for miles under the cool breeze as nightfall is starting to come. Mal was quiet for most of the trip, but as her feet got sore and her stomach started to rumble, she turned cranky on Negan for some reason.