Chapter 23

It was early morning, Mal's job today is scouting out any Infected around the area of the Tradepost. She takes the kids with her, give them a practice of getting use to the Infected and be more confident about themselves. Johan was at the southwest wing of the guard tower, in her hand a .243 caliber Browning rifle for any surprises. Since she loves the job, she took it which was not easy with those weird-language-praising-Glory-thing barking over little Johan of being too small, not worthy. They only let her for half an hour up in there. The Calvary Boys took the northeast wing but reported they'll be coming to the southwest bridge.

Most of the Runners were far away or none of them so it was no trouble. Infected's would be standing in the field or wandering clumsily toward any movement. It would've of been a good stroll for her and the kids, but there was a guy with a shotgun (the Glory-weird-language people) dodging Mall all through the shift, and that made her totally paranoid. She spent more time looking over her shoulder than trying to find loose Infected's.

"He's spoiling our hunt," Killeen complained, tongue poking out of the gun as he strode up to find a jawless Infected, the black tongue hanging out growling as the guy takes a swing of a wooden board with nails on the head, the weapon stuck on the smashed head, using his leg to push the Infected off.

Killeen got his first chance to take down an Infected. The Infected was a squat man in rags of what had once been a mail carrier's uniform. Killeen stood close at the Infected, face as dirty snow. He looked right into the creature's eyes, but l he saw were dust and emptiness. No reflection of any kind. No hunger or hate or malice either. Just nothing, staring out into space than Killeen coming up. A doll'a eyes had more life.

Then the Infected lunged at him. The movement was so sudden that it felt faster than it actually was. There was no tension, no twitch of facial muscles. The Infected mail carrier moved without hesitation or warning.

Killeen yelped and backpedaled away, swinging the pipe inside the creatures knee, falling down as he drew his knife and struck the soft skull. "Whew! That was unexpected."

"I told you before, they're still dangerous." Said Mal.

"Yeah, yeah," he swipes a bead of sweat, pulling his hair back, "but I wasn't scared, okay?"

"You yelped like a girl." Max covered a little chuckle under his hand.

"You would of been the same dude!"

"OK, maybe I would... a slight chance."

Rin scoffed. "More like never." She giggled while Killeen finally couldn't contain his and laughed. Then Max joined and Mal chuckled a bit, smiling all the way

BOOM!

The kids sprinted back, turning around to see the puff of smudge smoke of asphalt in the air, the vehicles had fresh black blood from a exploded Infected, and three-inch nails stuck in the vehicles deserted wheels.

"Sorry about the scare but I thought I saw a Runner." A cheeky Calvin smirked devilishly as his boys laughed behind.

"Let's just say he got nailed so hard today!" The round flopped belly Phillip tried another joke, Mal wanted to ridicule his puns as terrible and obnoxious. She imagines driving her blade into his-

"That wasn't an Runner! It was just one. Single. Infected." Max screamed at them, Mal coming back to her disturbing thoughts. The Calvary Boys whooed at him, impressed how tough he is. "Look at this," Kaito said, "Max is a big boy now, no taking anyone's orders. You should whip that boy into shape."

"Like how Charlie does." She smirk, enjoy her comeback while the kids didn't quite understand as much. Kaito struts himself up of the rusted car, nostrils flared red, a angry frown upon his face staring at Mal. Soon the guy in the horse came back and he just looks at the Calvary Boys then the kids then Mal.