Chapter 37

Vix taken place in the guard tower in the southeast gate, taking her job as a spotter, and she had time to be alone in this. Since now they're guards 24/7 on the clock, it was hard for her to be comfortable with, especially the Claimers.

She had been looking for an hour, seeing the same pathway, the same rusted ancient cars, and those crows piling around a dead carcass.

"Hey there, pretty lady." Vix jumped from her ground at the grisly voice. Simon steps inside the tower, leaning over the window, taking a deep breath. "Whatcha doing here? All alone?"

"Doing my job." She said, instinctively stand him in front of Simon, like a barrier.

"I can take care of it. Although, you can help some other jobs for me?"

"How about leaving me alone," Vix said with a growl.

"Yeah." Simon laughed, scratching his mustache. "Now that's gonna happen. I spent the whole damn night searching this freaking city and then had to deal with people not agreeing with the rules, and I came up for no reason because you asked me to go away. I don't think so, Vixen."

Simon tapped his palm on his thigh like he was calling in the dogs. "C'mon... If you play nice, I'll be a gentleman."

"Like you were towards the poor boy outside those walls?" Snapped Vix. "Like people you've claimed as toys."

Simon looked genuinely confused. "Now why on Earth would you come up to me and threaten me?"

Vix took a step forward. "I know Charlie invited you. But it doesn't mean you live here for a long time."

She shoves Simon out of her way by his shoulder and climbs down the ladder as she heard his ugly chuckles. Lalon and Lugh come from behind her. "You OK?" Said Lugh with a gentle touch on her shoulder.

"Not really."

"Open the gate!" A guard yells and the walls open, and everyone is beyond surprised to see three pale figures, walking in disbelief and even petrified.

Kaito wasn't so hot. He's bruised from the waist down, there's blood on his knee yet he didn't look like he's limping or hurt. He was pissed at something while Magnus tries to calm a quivering Ryes. Ryes screaming in peril, shaking constantly as any scared child would do.

"What happened?" Simon called from the tower.

"Where's Charlie?" Kaito frantically twitched from side to side, eyes big wide and darkly. "Where is he? I NEED HIM NOW!"

"What's wrong Kaito?" Just in the nick of time, Charlie stood behind the crowd and walked towards the jerking Kaito, blinking at the sound of his voice.

Kaito charged at Charlie, the guards raised their guns at him as Charlie told them to put them down.

"You lied to us!" He yelled. "You brought us, our boys, to a trap. You liar!" Kaito came off in a surge and drove his fist into Charlie's ribs. It was a good try, but his fist skittered along the man's side. Charlie pivoted and backhanded Kaito's head in the back and knocking him flat on his chest.

"Try that shit again, boy, and I won't be able to control myself in your punishments."

"I don't fucking care about that!" He screamed with all fury. "The compound was just a compound. We did it, killed a few Saviors until the alarms went off. That's where I figured out your pathetic excuses. There were more of them. More than fifty Saviors. They came out of nowhere, bringing Infected to chase us, firing bullets, and led us into a truck. They captured all of us! Even that bitch!"

Vix's heart leaped about a mile away. Mal was still out there and was captured by the Saviors. God... please let Mal be okay, she thought as she chewed her lip, torn by indecision.