Chapter 13

Jasper allowed the RK's to gather whatever supplies they needed around the old diner for their trip to gather whatever they can for a car that'll run. The diner was fairly decent, the wooden countertops on the the dining tables unscratched, a few wine glass, plates, and utilities behind the large counter are hidden behind the stained glass. Lalon and Lugh were in the back room gathering rags, broken scissors, and other things to craft for weapons against the infected. They bring them to each kid, Rin devilishly smirked at the wooden board with scissors being handed to her.

"He's got a stick up his butt." Max whispered, wrapping duck tape of scissors in his pipe, still raw about that little dispute with Jasper.

"And you almost went to the lengths of pulling it out and beat him to death with it." Max giggled at that, Lalon quirked an eyebrow, "no pun intended either," he then laughed out loud and Lugh smirked a little. They joined the two girls and Jasper back in the bar area, Rin's eyes fell onto the chess board, untouched for a few months it looks.

"You know how to play this?" She asked.

"Yeah I did, pretty badly though." Lugh replied.

"I always wanted to learn." She sighed, her hand was drawing to one of the pieces.

"Hey Bobby Fisher! Don't touch anything on that board!" Jasper exclaimed.

Rin glared at the guy, "Bobby what?"

"Just let it go." Mal whispered. She was confused as well on who's Bobby Fisher.

All began cutting through the living area above the bar, the rooftops were eroded to hell, and fresh air poured in. Jasper took point leading them towards the church that can be seen in the distance, Max eyes feared. He hated churches because of watching his parents being eaten by Infected as he hid in the chapel. She was the first one that he ever confessed about his parents too and the guilt struck his heart on why he hid as Mal said to him they let you hide to survive, to let you live a lot longer.

So Max stuck close to Mal, reached out and gave her arm a quick squeeze, and she flinched. He picked up on it immediately, pulled his hand back with an inquisitive look. Self-hatred burned hot in Mal's chest as she straightened, eyes darting away from Max's.

"It's OK," She muttered as she walked away as he calms down, breathing in and out.

Max. Even Max, an twelve year old boy, can't touch me without me reacting like that.

She was grateful, at least, that the lingering trauma didn't extend to the children. It's drives her insane on why she had to be this feral, so weak, to ever let her guard down from him. It kills her...

"So what kind of trouble are you in? Where the hell's that leader from the Tradepost? I heard of him, named Charlie. He's in it?" Jasper asked. Mal clenched her fists tightly, looked back a painful expression, and turned to him.

"It's a job. He's not in it." Mal replied, gritting her teeth.

"I know he wouldn't be. Heard rumors of the Tradepost getting worse, how his people abandon the place for other priorities of the community and his Boys for... reasons."

"We're just needing a car and getting back."

"So why the calvary of brats?"

"Ha-ha, screw you." Killeen spat. But Jasper only laughed, and hopped through a broken window. Mal did the same thing. "Lessons. Showing them the world." Jasper laughed again, "Lessons? Oh, Mal..." he muttered, shaking his head.

He turned to Mal, "Alright, first we go to my other safe house, it's more of an armoury."

"Wait I thought we were gonna fix up a car?" Johan said,