▪ Chapter 18 ▪

Demi´s eyes landed on the big house in front of her. It was beautiful, as if it was taken out of a dream. It was like one of those typical houses you´d find in a movie, in which would live a happy family that never goes through hell, a  picture perfect family that watches movies every Friday and goes for long walks through the park, where they tell stories that they all enjoy.

A weak smile came to her mouth; one day she wanted to live in a house like that with the love of her life and surrounded by her children. But the smile disappeared when she walked closer towards the front door, realizing the family that lived in there was not happy at all and was most definitely going through hell.

Hesitantly, she made her fingertips press against the doorbell just once, in fear of annoying them despite having called Mrs. Blanco just an hour ago to ask if she could come over and she´d replied that she found that totally okay. The young woman looked down at the little cake she´d bought for them, though she didn´t really know why she´d done that, she felt like she had to bring something.

“Demi!” Mrs. Blanco´s voice made her look back up to meet her big, tired eyes. “Good afternoon, Mrs. Blanco”. Demi greeted the woman in front of her.

Though she looked extremely exhausted, she still looked elegant. She wore a pair of white pants that hugged her thin legs perfectly and a plain dark blue shirt that was buttoned all the way up but still exposed her collarbone, on top of which lay a shiny necklace.

“Oh, please, call me Aurora” The woman said as she motioned Demi to come into her house.

“Of course”. Demi muttered as she followed Aurora into the house, being welcomed by a sweet smell of cinnamon. Soon, they made it to the living room and they sat down on the couch.

“Hey” Mr. Blanco entered the living room not much time later with two cups of tea. “Demi, can I offer you something to drink?” He asked, placing one of the cups of tea in front of his wife. Demi nodded her head.

“Tea is fine.” She said, giving the man a little smile. Mr. Blanco nodded once.

“Robert?” Aurora started, raising her tone of voice so he could hear her since he´d already left to prepare Demi´s tea.

“Can you bring some cookies as well?”.

“Oh, I brought this” Demi said, holding the perfectly wrapped up cake towards Mrs. Blanco.

“Oh, but you didn´t have to, honey” She spoke as her fingers started unwrapping it. “I know”. Demi simply replied as the sweet smell of the cake entered her nostrils. “Well, thank you very much, Demi”.

It didn´t take long before the three of them were sitting there drinking tea as the silence wrapped around them for a bit before Robert Blanco broke it with a light cough.

“So...” He started, as his wife soon held his hand as a source of strength. He bitterly smiled at Demi, whose hands trembled so she quickly placed the cup down before she would make a mess.

“The diary.” He stated as he got up and walked towards a near bookshelf, picking a fat, little pink notebook decorated with several stickers.

Demi felt how a lump formed in her throat so she proceeded to sip a bit of her tea and place the cup back on its spot on the little coffee table in front of her. Robert was looking down at the diary and seemed to be drowning in his own thoughts until Aurora called his name, snapping him back to reality.

“Honey” She added as Robert´s teary eyes met hers and another bitter smile made its way to his lips. He walked towards Demi and offered her the diary.

Demi hesitated for a bit but having the Blanco´s warm yet tired and sad eyes on her made her reach her hand to grab the notebook carefully before placing it on her lap and glueing her eyes on it as her fingertips gently run through the pink cover, feeling every single sticker that had been glued on it by Melissa.

She could have burst out into tears right there and then but she felt like she had to be strong for Melissa´s parents.

And before she knew it, after a few more minutes of talking with Robert and Aurora, Demi found herself walking towards her car with the notebook in her hands, which were still shaking. She had to take deep breaths after jumping into her car and carefully placing the diary on the passenger´s seat, until she felt calm enough to start up the engine and drive towards her apartment.

When she got home, she was decided to sit down at the table and start reading it but, once she was actually seated with the pink diary in her hands, she really couldn´t bring herself to do it. After twenty minutes of staring at the cover, she sighed and decided to put it down and leave it there. And the diary stayed there for the rest of the day, even when, that same night, she walked around the apartment trying to find her little black purse.

“Fuck, where did I leave that lil motherfucker?” She asked to no one in particular as her hands straightened the short black dress she had decided to wear for her night out with Nelly and Matthew.

When her doorbell rang, she walked towards it as she kept cursing because she hadn´t found her purse yet. Soon her little apartment was filled with Nelly´s laughs and Matthew´s stupid yet always funny jokes.

“Come on, Dems, think, where did you last see that thing?” Matthew asked as Nelly plopped down on one of the chairs.

Demi shrugged. “I have no idea, dude” She mumbled as her eyes traveled around the place, still hoping to see it somewhere.

“Hey, what´s that?” Asked Nelly, pointing her finger at the diary on the table. Demi swallowed nervously.

“Nothing, just stuff from work” She quickly said as she grabbed it and went to her room to safely place it in one of the drawers of her nightstand table, where she also happened to find her little purse.

“There it is!” She said as a smile invaded her face.

“Good, so we finally can get going to the club”. Said Matthew as he smiled at Demi as the three of them left her apartment and hopped into Demi´s car, who drove them towards their favorite place.

The lights and the loud music, along with so many people dancing along, welcomed her but not as comforting as she had hoped it would be. But when she felt Nelly grab her hand for security, she felt a bit better, which made her flash a smile at the older woman next to her as they found a good spot where they could dance along. And eventually, she started to feel the rhythm of the music and she started feeling free as she moved her body to a weird remix of Havana by Camila Cabello that was playing in that moment.

But everything seemed to stop right in front of her eyes when she saw a very familiar man through the big window right next to her, he was standing outside the place along with two guys whose names she knew were Dave and Ricardo.