▪ Chapter 12 ▪

️Trigger warning: Addiction & suicide issues⚠️
...................................................

《《Still a flashback》》

Everything around her started to become blurry, she felt everything inside of her breaking as the words Jack had just spoken rambled through her brain.

Melissa had killed herself.

“Miss?” Jack calling her made her come back to reality. Demi felt as if she was about to pass out and Jack noticed that so he held her by her arms softly.

“Miss, can you hear me?” the young man asked.

“This can´t be happening… This just… I...” She muttered under her breath as she started walking closer to the building surrounded by policemen.

“Miss Lovato!” Jack held her by her shoulders. “She´s gone” He spoke as he tried to look into his professor´s eyes but she was too lost into her thoughts that it was impossible.

Her brain was a mess right then, all the thoughts rushed from one place to another but it all came to one only point.

“I killed her” Demi softly said with her eyes locked on the concrete beneath her feet.

“What?” Jack hadn´t quiet understood what the woman was saying.

“I killed her, Jack. I´m a murderer I… I...” She held the boy by his shoulders as she spoke. “I could´ve prevented this, Jack, I could have and I… I didn´t… I killed Melissa”.

Jack furrowed his brows at Miss Lovato´s words.

“You didn´t… You saved her for so long… You did everything that was in your hands” He said, tears once again running down his cheeks, which he wiped away as Demi swallowed and gently let go of the boy as she walked towards the policemen, leaving him behind with a confused expression painted on his face.

“Are you family?” One of them asked her. “I´m her professor” She replied. “Only family, I´m sorry” He explained as Demi´s eyes focused on a couple that was crying as they hugged each other in front of the ambulance. “Are those her parents?” She asked. The policeman nodded his head yes as he wrote something down on a little notepad he had in his hands. “Could I at least talk to them?” The man sighed, ready to tell her she should go but something about her made him change his idea so he softly nodded his head towards her and let her pass through.

After thanking him, she walked towards Melissa´s parents, fighting back so many tears as her heels sounded on the concrete.

“Hello” She greeted. A tall woman with curly hair looked at her through her tears. “Hi?” She seemed as confused as the man standing right by her side with his arm securely wrapped around her shoulders.

“Hi, I´m Miss Lovato, I am... was your daughter´s English Literature professor” Demi introduced herself, barely being able not to break down into an ocean of tears and causing them to smile bitterly at her.

“Our daughter talked a lot about you.” Said the man, his voice was deep but warm at the same time. “Thank you so much, we know how much you helped her” He added before the woman stepped closer to Demi and hugged her. Demi hugged her back and closed her eyes. When she opened them up, some tears ran down her cheeks and she quickly wiped them away with the back of her hand.

“I...” Demi started. “I´m so sorry I couldn´t help more.” She whispered.

“You were her last phone call…” The woman started talking. “Yes” Demi nodded her head in response. “And I dind´t pick up” She looked down to take a deep breath before daring to look back into Mrs and Mr Blanco. “I´m so, so sorry… I could´ve prevented this...”

Mr. Blanco placed a hand on her shoulder. “Don´t blame yourself, please.” He spoke. Mrs. Blanco broke down into tears once again so he hugged her tightly, ignoring Demi as she said another apologize before turning around and walking towards her car.

She sat there in silence, staring at the steering wheel mindlessly. Ten minutes later, she started up her car and drove towards her apartment, where she spend the night awake thinking about Melissa until finally her eyes fell shut at about eight am.