▪ Chapter 8 ▪

His arms held her as close as possible as her cheek rested on his bare chest, feeling it moving up and down lightly. She drew imaginary circles on his skin until some words started to leave Wilmer´s mouth.

“I love you, Dems” He whispered against her hair. She smiled, yet didn´t reply what he wanted to hear.

“I had missed this” Demi admitted, never looking up at him. He played with a lock of her hair.

“What do you mean?” questioned Wilmer before placing a little kiss on top of her head.

“Oh, you know” Her brown eyes finally met his. “The sex… Cuddling afterwards...”

“Just that?” He asked as his eyebrows furrowed and his eyes hardened.

“Wilmer, don´t go there,
please” She sighed, pulling a bit away.

“So you basically just used me for sex, right?” He was starting to elevate his tone of voice.

“Shh” She put a finger on her lips to remind him that her family was fast asleep.

“I didn´t” She said when he looked at her waiting for an answer. “But...” She bit down her lower lip. “Wilmer, I… I just can´t be in a relationship” She ended her sentence.

“We don´t have to, but I just think it would be nice to have you around a bit more, open up to me, talk to me, do more of this...” He said, meaning the sex and the cuddles. “Like we used to… And we don´t have to call it a relationship… I just wanna be near you and help you through...”

Demi let out a sigh.

“Why are you so fucking selfish, Wilmer?”

“Oh now you´re calling me selfish?” Demi pulled away from him completely and sat up as she started to get exasperated. “You know
what, I just should have locked myself in the bathroom and finger myself instead of fucking with you!” She spat out, running her ten fingers through her hair.

“Remember when we used to make love instead of “fucking”?” Wilmer tried really hard to understand the woman sitting there right next to him but it all was a little bit too much. He loved her deeply, and he could understand she was not ready or not wanting a relationship but then she should just keep her hands to herself and not start a sexual relation with him, specially knowing how he felt towards her.

“Demi, you know how I feel
about you” His voice cracked at the end as his still naked body slipped out of the bed. “You can´t just play with my feelings, you know? I don´t really appreciate you using me as a fucking sex toy."

He walked across the room collecting his clothing items, which had been thrown around the place just half an hour ago, when everything seemed to be fine.

“So now you´re leaving?” She tried to hold back her tears. She loved him too but something inside of her didn´t let her live that love.

“Demi...” His pants were already on. He sighed and stopped dressing himself to look at her. “For the past two years I´ve respected your decision of breaking up, I´d like to think I´ve always been a phone call away, just in case you needed anything, we´ve had some sex encounters and it was great… But now it´s different… I love you so fucking much, Demetria...” Two tears rolled down his cheeks, he didn´t even bother to wipe them away as he continued talking. “I´ve realized I will never get over you, and as much as I´d like to stay around to help you through Melissa´s death… I just
can´t do this anymore, and if you´re just gonna use me to solve your horny problems, well, then I think it´s best for me to leave.” He put his shirt on, grabbed all his belongings and went to walk out of the door.

As much as her heart yelled at her to stop the man from leaving, her brain was frozen because of all the things Wilmer had said and because he´d say that name out loud. It was the first time Demi heard that name since the incident and it hurt badly.

Melissa…

He stared at her, maybe expecting her to stop him, he wanted her to. He wished Demi left her spot to walk towards him and tell him that she loved him too, that she wanted him to stay and afterwards they´d kiss and everything would be okay.

But he knew it wouldn´t happen and he was too tired to keep trying and waitinf for something that may never happen.

“Bye, Demi” He muttered bitterly before opening the door and leaving.
Demi closed her eyes and let out a sad sigh. When she opened them again, two silent tears traveled down her cheeks as she hugged herself in an attempt to calm herself down. But when she heard the front door closing, she couldn´t stop herself from crying uncontrollably. She held her hand close to her mouth to muffle the sounds coming out of her.

“Fuck” She cursed under her breath as she slipped out of the bed and walked towards the bathroom to throw some cool water on her face to calm down. Her brown eyes met themselves in her reflection in the mirror.

“Why did you let him leave?” She asked herself. “You love him, and he
loves you back” More tears streamed down her face.

She didn´t realize that she had let herself fall on the ground until a sleepy Dianna walked into the bathroom.

“Demi! Dear, what´s wrong?” The older woman gasped as she immediately went down on her knees to hold her daughter´s face into her hands, connecting their eyes.

“Wilmer… He… He” Demi
took a deep breath. “He left”.