19

Sleep never comes as I lay next to a snoozing Jimin, my eyes focused up on the night sky above us. The sky is clear, with no clouds to be seen with the stars shining brightly. The ground is cold beneath me and I become all too aware of my breathing and my heart calmly beating in my chest. I find it hard to focus on more than one thought at a time, my mind swimming through my memories of the last several years.

I wonder how I got to this point. If someone told me ten years ago that I would move to South Korea, endure the zombie apocalypse, and get stuck in some twisted love triangle, I would have laughed in their faces and carry on with my life. Zombies and love triangles only happen in books and movies.

I roll on to my side and attempt to close my eyes for the millionth time that night. Why did you have to kiss him again? I wince at the thought, snapping my eyes open once more. It's not that I meant to. He was the one who pulled me so close to him. He's the one that instigated all these thoughts swarming through my head right now. Not even three weeks ago I was complaining about how big of a jerk he is. There's no way feelings could have changed this quickly.

And yet, they did. I find myself wanting to go searching for him just so that I can taste his sweet lips one more time. I want to find him so that I can fall asleep in his arms, feel his warm breath on the back of my neck as we both lay there in slumber. I feel the urge to go to him and never leave his side. But instead, I'm laying here next to Jimin, passed out from drinking too much.

I swallow and turn carefully so that I'm facing the blonde haired boy. Despite my feelings for Yoongi, there's no denying the connection I have with Jimin. He's sweet and gentle, caring and loving. Every time I look at him, my heart flutters in my chest by just how beautiful of a man he is. Not to mention he's also the most adorable human being I have ever met. He has the softest eyes and I can tell he cares deeply for me by just looking into them.

Why do you have to be so cruel? I shake the thought away. Once again, it's not that I'm meaning to be so cruel to him. Besides, it's not like he knows.

Guilt jabs at my insides. I should tell him, but I don't want to hurt him. He knows that Yoongi has feelings for me, but the two of them have seemingly moved past that. I don't want to come in between their friendship and ruin everything.

I know that it's not fair, though. Not to Jimin nor Yoongi. Kissing Yoongi behind Jimin's back will only hurt them both.

"You confuse me." Yoongi's words continue to ring in my ears. Trust me. I confuse me, too.

Sighing, I attempt to close my eyes one last time. When I open them again, the early morning sun shines brightly in the sky and I slowly sit up, my body aching from having fallen asleep in such an odd position.

"Good morning, beautiful," Jimin smiles, wrapping his arms around my waist. He kisses my cheek before snuggling his face into the crook of my neck and I smile back at him. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes," I lie, trying to keep down a yawn.

"Good," he says curtly. He then lifts his head to my face and kisses me softly. I melt into him just as the memory of me kissing Yoongi last night rises up.

Jimin pulls away with a look of concern. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head and laugh. "Y-yeah. I'm fine. Why?"

He sighs and frowns a little before standing up. "Nothing," he mutters. He reaches a hand out to me and I take it. "Let's go find the others."

After he pulls me up, he lets go of my hand and immediately walks away. Confused, I have to rush to catch up to him. There's a thick tension between us that wasn't there yesterday. Maybe he knows?

I shake my head. There's no way that he knows. Unless... Yoongi told him. But if that were the case, the atmosphere between the two would be anything less than friendly.

We make it to the small camp we had set up the night before. Everyone is already there, talking amongst each other. Taehyung greets us with a big smile but frowns when he sees Jimin keeping himself at a distance.

I walk over to the silver-haired boy and sit down. "Everything okay, Y/N?" He whispers and I shrug.

"Yeah, why?"

He raises an eyebrow and turns to Jimin. Jimin sits away from the rest of us, leaning back with his face pointed skywards. I then notice Tae turn his attention to Yoongi, who quickly averts his eyes after being caught staring at me.

"Right," Taehyung says, drawing out the syllable with a smirk on his face. "I see that."

I shake my head, not understanding what he means. Before I can ask though, Jungkook lets out an exasperated sigh. "I'm hungry. Y/N, do we get to eat or do we have to wait?"

I laugh at the maknae and reach for our large bag of food. "We can have something small, but not too much."

After passing around a can of peaches, we gather all of our things and make our way once more. Unlike yesterday, today's mood is much calmer. Everyone is quiet, but unlike the first couple days, it's a comfortable silence. We still don't have any real destination ahead of us, but I think we are going to be able to manage from here on out.

Suddenly, a large squeal comes from behind and we all jump. Jin raises his hands in defense as he jumps back while Yoongi raises his fists and steps forward as if he's ready to fight whatever is coming our way. Taehyung hides behind Jungkooks shoulder and Hoseok hides behind Taehyung. Namjoon freezes, his eyes going wide. I hand grabs my arm and I'm suddenly being pulled behind a protective Jimin.

"Y/N!" A female's voice calls out. "Is that really you?"

I cautiously poke my head out from behind Jimin. I thought everyone I knew was dead?

And yet, at this very moment I am proven wrong. My eyes go wide with realization and before I can stop myself, I'm running to the dark-haired girl that stands just a few feet away from us.

"Jennie?" I say, feeling almost out of breath. "H-how is this possible?"

She smiles wide, obviously just as shocked as I am. "I could ask you the same thing! This is crazy!"

Jennie had been my roommate back at the university I had gone to in Seoul. She was the first person I had gone looking for after the disease broke out, but our dorm had been completely ransacked and I had assumed the worse.

Apparently, I was wrong.

"This is so crazy!" She squeals, her eyes shining. "After all this time, you've been alive? Have you been out here on your own? Oh my gosh, I have so many questions for you."

"Same, actually," I say as I continue to try and convince myself that this is real, that Jennie, my best friend, is really standing in front of me. 

"Uh, Y/N?" Jimin asks behind me and I turn around. I had almost forgotten that they were there.

Taehyung steps forward, his eyebrow raised and his lip in a pout. "Y/N? Who's your friend?"

I smile wide and Jennie takes my hand. "Everyone, this is my best friend, Jennie Kim."