2

I jump. Well, more like I stumble and fall into the hole, but the important part is that I'm still alive. Well... At least I think so.

Someone closes the hole above me with a metal grate just as the Unliving lunges for it. Its body slams against the ground, sending a loud ringing through the tunnel we now stand in. It takes me a moment to adjust, the darkness heavy on my eyes as I begin to look around. The first thing I notice is how wide the tunnel is and how it appears to go in each direction for miles, a beckoning darkness coming from each end. It's not very tall, though, my 5'4" height only barely fitting comfortably.

The second thing I notice is the smell. The moment the putrid stink reaches my nostrils, they instantly flare in disgust and my hands go to my nose in an attempt to cover it. "Where are we?" I ask, my voice muffled by my hands.

"The sewers," the dark haired boy says. "You'll get used to the smell."

"I highly doubt that," I say, scrunching my nose.

Tae laughs and begins walking. "Watch where you step," he warns. "Who knows what's been rotting down here."

I swallow and follow the two boys into the darkness. I soon learn that Tae's name is actually Taehyung and the dark haired boy is Yoongi. They have five other friends that they used to live with in Seoul before the disease. After the infection spread, the seven of them stuck together and travelled all around Korea in attempts to find family. When they all came up empty, they returned to Seoul and joined a camp.

"Do you guys actually like the camp?" I ask, creasing my brow. I had stayed in a camp once, but I hadn't cared much for it. There were too many rules and the people in charge were far too controlling for my taste. Not to mention that they tended to be discriminatory towards women, meaning I wasn't able to work at the fence and keep the Unliving out. I was stuck cleaning and cooking with the other women, and while most accepted it, I did not. Not only that, but they're also highly dangerous. So I ran away.

"It's not all bad," Taehyung says, shrugging. "It's not the greatest, but we're at least safe."

"For now," I snort. "Camps have a reputation of being taken over. It's dangerous for so many humans to be in one place at once. You'll just attract the Unliving like moths to a light."

Yoongi shakes his head, his hands in the pockets of jeans. He's shorter than the other boy, but still a couple inches taller than me. He walks with his head down, his posture more closed off and less approachable than his friend who walks with arms swinging at his sides and a smile on his face. I don't know why, but I find myself curious about Yoongi. He seems like the type you can sit down and just talk about life with.

Suddenly a hand is flying in front of my face for the second time tonight and I snap back to reality. "You do that a lot," Taehyung states and I give him a confused look.

"Do what a lot?"

"Stare," he says with a shrug and I feel my cheeks heat up with embarrassment. Yoongi looks at me, but no emotion shows on his face. I give him a tight lip smile, but he turns his head away without returning it.

"What's your name?" Taehyung asks after a moment. "And your story?"

Oh. Right. My story.

"Y/N," I start. "I'm twenty-one. I'm from America, but I moved to Korea to live with my grandparents when I was seventeen."

"Where are your grandparents?" The silver haired boy asks and I feel a pang in my heart.

I shake my head and give a shrug. "By the time I got back to their home in Busan, they were gone. I'm not sure if the disease got to them or if they got away. But I've pretty much have been on my own since."

Taehyung nods, a sad look in his eyes. "It's quite sad not knowing what happened to the ones you love," he says, a distant look in his eyes. "But what else can you do?"

We fall silent, the only sound coming from our feet hitting the ground. After a short while, I find myself looking over at the older boy once more. He's been quiet ever since we started walking, only giving small nods here and there to show that he's at least listening to the conversation. He's definitely more reserved, an introvert I assume.

"We're here," he finally speaks. I have to keep myself from jumping at the sudden noise. I swallow and look around. Yoongi reaches up and removes the manhole. With ease, he climbs out and disappears above ground. That is, until he sticks his hand down and helps pull Taehyung out.

I look back at the tunnel behind me, debating if I should just turn back. Who knows what they are going to do to me in there.

"Y/N!" I turn around and see Yoongi's hand reaching down and I grab for it. As I'm pulled out of the tunnel, one last thought crosses my mind, Yoongi was right. You do get used to the smell.