Step Twenty-Nine

Seeing his face made my throat automatically parched. I felt the walls closing in, and I also felt my palms sweating from the close radius of us two. I know my room isn’t small, but it suddenly felt like a two by four cell.

“What are you doing here?” I questioned. The smart thing to is run out the house. But my feet wouldn’t move. They felt cemented to the ground, even with my mind screaming at my body to work properly.

“You aren’t happy to see your father?”

“You’re anything but that. You’re sick.” How did he get here? He was supposed to be in prison for at least another two years. Two years, yet he’s here, in my room. Weren’t the police supposed to notify us when he got let out?

Reading my mind, “Good behavior got a lot of people out. That and overcrowding.”  He took a step forward, and I took one back until I felt the cool wood of the door on my back. One hand slid up, until I felt the doorknob, and then I gently grasped it in my chalky hands. “What are you doing?” His deep voice made me jump, dropping my hands back to my side.

 He took three steps towards me, until he was standing right in front of me. I saw nothing about him changed much, just a small beard that was shaved into a goatee. He was still the same man as before, with ebony black hair in waves and dark brown eyes narrowed in slits. I knew he was angry, but I also saw something else form when I was younger, that I didn’t understand until later.

“What do you want?” I questioned, voice shaky. I was afraid that I already knew the answer, and afraid my past would be repeated.

“Isn’t it obvious?” His soft voice asked, hands caressing my cheek. I moved my head to the side, not wanting his touch on me, just as my hand went back on the doorknob to turn it. Before I even knew it, once hand, the one jus ton my face, had my arm closest to the doorknob pinned down and the other grasped my jaw, aggressively pulling it to face him.

“Don’t you remember the doctor? How you asked me to touch you there.” His hand and mine went to where my legs were tightly clenched together. He tried to pry them for a few seconds, but eventually moved up to my stomach as he continued to speak, “and here,” I wiggled as he went farther up, but he pressed his body closer to mine. I felt his cool breath on my face, forced to look at him in the eyes. The more I tried to move, the tighter his grip got, and the closer our bodies were. “You loved that game.”

“That’s because you manipulated me.” I hissed.

“Is that what those ‘doctors’ told you?”

“It’s the truth!” I spat, groaning as his grip on my mouth got impossibly tighter.

Then, his lips were on mine. I felt his tongue licking at my lips, and I took that as the opportunity to bite it. He screamed, yelling Bitch before backing up to check for blood. I used this as my chance to open the door and run out the room. I didn’t get far before I felt his hands grabbing for my waist and even shorter before I felt his fingers tangled in my hair. He didn’t even move; just stood still as I did so my hair was pulled. I fell, kicking at his legs as he tried to pick me up. He caught one of them, using it to drag me in my room. He picked me up from the floor as we entered the room, throwing me on the bed where I just barely prevented hitting my head on the frame.

“We could have done this the easy way, Desiree.” He unbuckled his pants, letting the zipper fall down as he walked towards the bed. I looked around for the easiest escape. It was times like this I regretted choosing the one room in the house with one way in and one way out. The only way out was through the door behind him, which he locked and put a chair between.

“Why are you doing this to me?” I cried, letting the tears drip freely from my eyes. I pulled my feet closer to me against the headboard, trying to get as far away from his approaching body as I could. I wrapped my arms around them tightly, eyes blurred by the tears I was letting fall. I hate the fact I let him see me like this, but it’s the least of my worries right now.