Step Sixteen

Dedicated to : @LittleMissGiGi you finally caught up with us!!!

I expected to exit the car and feel a warm breeze with the sum shining brightly on my face. Instead, we were all met with harsh winds and droplets of rain. Upon our arrival in the usually relaxing New Orleans we were met with storm warnings. And knowing New Orleans, this wouldn't be an ordinary storm. It took all seven of us to convince Keisha and Walter not to cancel the concert. That would be cruel in my opinion, mainly because it was the first ever show here and it was sold out.

Stepping in the studio room, I saw my music coordinator, Marcus, and vocal coach, Linda, already in there. I slightly rocked to the beat of All Night Long as I removed my jacket and hung it on the coat rack.

"Did you send me the instrumental?" Leslie questioned.

“Yeah, when you were in the shower." I yawned. I don't know when Star and I actually feel asleep last night; I just know the sun had started to shine.

"Do you want to wait on the others or start?"

"We can wait." I sat on the sofa. I expected to get a few minutes of needed rest, but of course that wasn't happening. As soon as my eyes closed Linda decided we should do a few warm ups-which I've been supposedly neglecting. At the same time, Marcus questioned what tone of key I was using,

I was elated when the others walked I'm twenty minutes later. Their clothes were soaked, telling me the storm began, but they were still smiling and laughing.

"What's up?" Bree asked, sitting next to me.

"The ceiling." Matty answered.

"Wasn't really talking to you." She rolled her eyes, but her smile remained large.

I smiled at the banter, but of weakened when I saw Star sullen in a corner. Trey appeared to be attempting to cheer her up, but she was relentless. A strange feeling came over me, and all I wanted was to make sure she was okay, but as soon as I stood up to walk over, I was ushered into the booth. Placing the headphones on my ear, I combed through the edges of my hair. I was nervous; having never sung in a room full of people before a song was perfected. I hated to be seen below my high points.

The soft piano and guitar instruments began in my headphones. No one else could hear of, so I same there mouths chattering excitedly. The only one completely focused on me was CJ. On one side I hated it, because it was so serious and focused, but at the same time I loved it because it showed I had all his attention.

Isn't that what every girl wants?

I closed my eyes, taking a steadying breath, and began. "I like being independent/ Not so much of an investment/ No one to tell me what to do/I like being by myself/ Don’t gotta entertain anybody else/ No one to answer to..." I opened my eyes briefly to see everyone else's eyes now focused on me. The music stopped. I removed the headphones from my ears, placing them around my neck.

"Okay, now for the next part, go up a little, but keep the slight rasp, and remember to sound hopeful, but disappointed."

I nodded, placing them back on my ears. The beat resumed where it left out. " But sometimes, I just want somebody to hold/ Someone to give me their jacket when its cold/ Got that young love even when we’re old/Yeah sometimes, I want someone to grab my hand/ Pick me up, pull me close, be my man/ I will love you till the end..."

Opening my eyes, I saw everyone smiling. It gave me that familiar urge being on stage did. I wanted to belt out the rest of the lyrics, but I couldn't. Not yet.

"So if you’re out there I swear to be good to you/ But I’m done lookin’, for my future someone/ Cause when the time is right/ You’ll be here, but for now/ Dear no one, this is your love song..." The music stopped.