Newt (63) (long)

Takes place after the death cure

You'd been in the safe haven with Newt and the others for almost 6 months now, and everything had gone almost back to normal.

After you had gotten the cure for Newt, he had returned to the way he had been back in the glade. Maybe a little more reserved, and a little more wary, but it was Newt.

Except for the last 2 days. He'd been quiet. Locking himself in room you two shared, for most of the day, and when you came in to sleep at night he was already asleep.

You had been heading back towards your room for the night, the end of the second day that he shut you out. There was a thud from inside the room, and you knocked on the door.

"Newt?"

You didn't get a response, so you opened the door open, met with him asleep on the floor. You sighed, crouching next to him and shaking his shoulder gently.
"Newt, what are you doing on the floor, baby?"

He grumbled, shaking his head for a second. "I was trying to get to the bathroom."

"What? Did you pass out?" You asked, eyebrows furrowed a bit as he sat up and looked around.

"I guess I did." He groaned, rubbing his head.
"Ow."

"Alright, let's get you back to bed." You frowned, holding his arm.
"Come on, up you go."

Newt stumbled to his feet, swaying a bit, as he blinked a few times and leaned onto you.

"Alright, back to bed." You repeated. Newt shook his head.
"No, you shouldn't be here, love. I don't want to get you sick." He let go of your arm, taking a step back.

"Newt, don't be ridiculous. Odds are, I'm going to get sick now anyways. Let me help." You held his hand.

He blinked a few times, his hair messed up as he stood in a gray t-shirt. Eventually he nodded, lowering his head a bit. "Alright."

You led him back over to the bed, and he almost collapsed back into the mattress, while you pulled a blanket up around him.
"Why didn't you tell me you were sick." You frowned, tucking him in.

"Because you worry about me enough." He mumbled, shaking his head.

"Yeah mean...the flare?" You asked. He nodded slowly.

"I saw how much you hated it. I hated how much you worried. I don't want you like that again."

"Awe, Newt...dont ever think like that." You said gently, sitting next to him on the edge of the bed.
"I'm always going to worry about you. I'm going to worry more if you don't tell me what's going on."

You reached up to brush his hair off of his forehead, your hand brushing his skin.
"Oh my god, baby, you're burning up." You frowned, pulling your hand back.

Newt closed his eyes and nodded, staying quiet.
"I'll be right back, okay? I'm gonna get you some water." You kissed his feverish forehead, and he mumbled something unintelligible. You stood up and gave him one more look over before leaving the room.

You walked back in a bit later, closing the door as quietly as you could. Newt was already asleep, his hair matted to his forehead with sweat while his chest rose and fell lightly. You smiled a little, sitting next to him on your side of the bed as you doused a washcloth in some cold water and put it on his forehead to help with the fever.

You slid under the sheets next to him, turning onto your side and checking him over one last time before turning out the lights. You couldn't help it, reaching down and turning over his arm to check his wrist for the Black veins that you hoped hadn't returned.

They hadn't.

You let out a relieved sigh as newt stirred a bit in his sleep, reaching out for you. And since you had sat up, he huffed your leg in his sleep, his head resting on your lap.

You held back a laugh, shaking your head and running your fingers through his hair.

"I guess I can stay up for a little bit." You whispered, continuing to brush through his hair with your fingertips as he snored lightly.

"Goodnight, Love." You bent over and kissed his forehead, and silently promising to take care of him from now on.