Newt (53)

You woke up one morning in the scorch, before all the others

You woke up one morning in the scorch, before all the others. You could tell why, but you were wide awake, left sitting in the quiet as you waited for everyone else to wake up under the rock where you had taken shelter for the night.

You sat up, pulling your hair into a ponytail as you slowly started to get up. Newt stirred a bit beside you, mumbling a bit as his eyes slooowly opened.
"Everything Alright?" He grumbled, voice low from sleep.

"Everything's fine. Just can't sleep any more." You said with a shrug, playing with the hair on his forehead. Newt sat up slowly, yawning a bit.

"I'm gonna go take a walk." You said, zipping up your sweater. Newt looked up up you, squinting a bit against the sun as his eyes adjusted.
"I'll go with you, Love." He mumbled and blinked a few times, eyes still squinted.

"It's fine. You seem tired, still." You responded and kissed his forehead.

"No, I'm fine. I don't want you out there alone." He persisted, stretching a bit with another yawn.

"I can take care of myself, Newt, I'm fine." You smiled, shaking your head.

"No, no. Nobody should be alone out here. There's cranks around every buggin' street corner." He said and stood up with a grunt.

"Besides. I haven't been alone with you in a while." He have you a small smile, holding out his hand.