Chapter 21

The song above. I think instead of songs quotes I'm just going to put the song. I don't know, but enjoy!
~~~~~~~

Emptiness is all I feel.

I don't think I can get up right now.

The wake is today/the funeral.

Mom came in, dressed in a beautiful black dress that hugged her in all the right places.

"Honey." She called, her voice trembling. The blanket was thrown over me, Freddie wiggled through the space Mom was leaving open in the door and hopped into bed. "You have to get up."

I can't.

I don't think I can.

"Later Mom."

"Okay." She said with a sigh and closed the door.

The walls aren't sound proof.

I heard her crying, just as she heard mine.

"Cole?" I heard Oscar's voice call out into my room. Why is Cole here?

I tried to move my body but it just didn't want to move.

"I heard what happened-"

"I'm sorry." I whispered, tears forming in my eyes as I remembered the horrible things I told him the last time we spoke. "You're such an amazing person, I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. I understand if you don't want to be whatever we are anymore."

"All is forgiven." He said sitting down on the edge of the bed. The room was pitched black, so I couldn't see his face.

"Why are you here?" I asked scooting over for him to lie on the bed next to me.

"Because your mom called and said that you really needed a friend right now." He briefly explained. Silence over lapped until he broke it. "What happened?"

"My dad died." I whispered, choking back on the sob. Oscar's body stayed the same but only he turned to face me.

"Is there anything I can do, Cole?" He asked, keeping his distance. Oscar doesn't know what happened to me. But he's still here. Unfazed by the truth.

"Just," I began to cry. "Hold me."

And he did. He pulled me into his small body, leaning his head on the top of mine. I cried into his pullover hoodie and held onto it for dear life.

"I can't do it anymore." I cried shaking my head. "How am I supposed to move on without him?"

Oscar's hand caressed my hair, while the other one was wrapped around my back, keeping me pushed into him.

"You just do." He whispered, allowing me to cry and cry. "You have to find what makes you happy and stick with it. You have to think about what your dad would want you to do. He'd want you to keep living your life to your fullest potential. He'd want you to be happy, even without him in the picture. He'd want you to be who you are, overall, he'd want you to be happy."

"But how am I supposed to do that? All I feel is pain."

My heart hurts to much. My lungs are barely allowing me to breathe. It's too much.

It's all too much.

"You just do. That's how life works, Cole." Oscar said, his voice and body remaining strong while I was falling apart into the black hole that continuously sucks everyone out of my life.

"Oscar I'm so sorry." I cried shaking my head. "I'm a horrible person."

"You're not. You're human."