Chapter 20

The song above. It always makes me cry.
~~~~~~~~

"Mom?" I called out as I walked into the hallway where Dad was at. The turtleneck I was wearing made me feel like I was choking.

"Sweetie." Dad's girlfriend cried, coming out of the room that Dad was in.

"What happened?" I asked confused, my mind blank as to why she was crying. They said they found a liver for dad.

Everything should be okay by now. Right?

"He-he-he-" She dropped to the floor with her face in her hands.

"Died?"

"Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. Your mom went to go look for you. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." She cried, holding onto her heart.

I helped her up, allowing her to lean on me. She sobbed and sobbed until her daughter showed up with the same amount of tears.

"Mom-" The daughter began to say and immediately started to cry. All the people around us understood and kept their distance.

I nodded my head and walked away. The breeze outside was nice and felt like a blanket against my skin.

I looked up towards the sun and immediately felt the heat come upon me. Clouds were forming signaling the scheduled rain at 5.

Everyone around me seemed frozen, in wheelchairs or sitting down next to the people in wheelchairs.

I walked further into the forest that the hospital facilitated. The flowers on the ground were a mixture of blue, pink, and yellow. There were multiple types of plants and vines everything. The further I walked down this trail, the less people I saw. 

The birds chirped around me, all happy. Lizards moved throughout the bushes, disappearing once they saw me. Some thought if they stayed still, I wouldn't see them.

An eagle flew above me. And finally a white butterfly landed on my finger as I held it out, wondering what would happen. 

The butterfly was on me, looking directly on me, it's wings moving every few seconds.

Dad.

My heart suddenly felt like it was being squeezed. It felt like somebody has their hands around it, trying to rip it out and destroy it.

I looked at the butterfly, a single tear rolling down my cheek. Behind me, the people in wheelchairs and their families moved back inside the building as small drops of rain began to fall.

How ironic.

I walked, the butterfly slowly and carefully leave me, flying upwards against the rain.

Even when a raindrop fell on it, the butterfly flew upwards. Into the sky.

Dad.

Heat spread throughout me, beginning at my head and moved down to my toes. As if somebody pushed me, I fell onto my knees, not being able to hold myself up.

I remembered a few days ago with Oscar, how when he took me home, I screamed at him to "stay the hell away from", that "we're done", and finally that "I never want to see him again"

I remember the tears that were running down his face as he looked at me with confusion and hurt and betrayal.

"But I thought-" He began to say but I shook my head, images of Him still running through my head.

"Leave me alone! You don't like me! I know you don't! It's impossible! You're going to hurt me! I know you are!" I screamed mercilessly at him.

Finally I slammed the door in his face, ditching school for the next few days, only staying in my bed with Freddie. Until today when I got up and felt the need to go to the hospital and see dad.