Chapter 4

"Allein: was soll ich mit meinem Munde?
mit meiner Nacht? mit meinem Tag?
Ich habe keine Geliebte, kein Haus,
keine Stelle auf der ich lebe."
~The Poet by Rilke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You tricked me." I said to Dad after looking at the scene in front of me. Pulling him away from the dinner table which held his girlfriend and her daughter who was around my age.

"I did not lie to you. But I didn't think if I told your mom what I wanted to do, I wouldn't get the same results." He said with a pout, he can't take anything seriously. "Please."

"Please do what? Not get mad, sorry I already am Dad." That rhymes but I'm not in the mood.

Dad looked into my eyes and had one hand on each of my shoulder. I shrugged off his hands, my body feeling hot from anger.

"I love her. I really do." Dad said with happiness I don't see when he's around Mom.

"You loved Mom and all the other girls." I simply stated, not wanting to play along with this game of his.

"In the future, maybe you'll understand but now, you'll have to trust me-"

"I'm not some kid Dad! I'm don't want to commit to something like getting to know her kid or getting to know her if it's just going to end in heartbreak. Because I'm not sure if you realized but that's what always happens." I said shaking my head and knew that the two in the dining room were probably wondering what was taking so long.

"But mi hijo [my son/son]-"

He always does the same thing. Every few years. When he meets who he thinks it's the love of his life and the same thing happens. I'm done.

"No Papi, enough because unlike you, at least Mom has the decency to ask me what I want. At least she dates the person for more than a month to let me meet them. At least she, from what it seems, cares about my opinion. But if this has shown me anything, it's that you don't care what I have to say or how I feel on the matter." I said remembering all the times he's practically forced me into meeting his girlfriends, me getting connected and for them to only break up.

The familiar sting rushed into my heart, pricking it.

Remembering that he was the son of one of Papi's ex girlfriends that I was forced to meet.

"This time is different!" Like I haven't heard that one before.

"Let's see, Papi. Until you prove it, I'm not going to play your juegos [games]." I said storming out of the house, slamming the door behind me. The dog barked as I left but I was to angry to even care.

Seconds later, the door opened and I didn't even want to hear what Dad had to say-

"Wait!" A high pitched voice yelled.

Dad doesn't sound like that, not even when he cries.

"Leave me the hell alone." I said thinking it was his girlfriend trying to act like Mom. They always try to replace her even though she's the one parent who cares about me.

"Just stay for dinner, okay? My mom and I aren't that bad." The daughter?

"I don't expect you to understand." I said climbing into the front seat of my car. The daughter jumped into the passenger side.

"Wait-Listen-you run fast."

"I didn't sign up to be a baby sitter." I grumbled, turning off the car and gestured towards her door. "Get out."

"No."

"Get out now, I'm not in the mood." My head was beginning to hurt with anger.

"Look, I don't mean to sound rude but can you not be so selfish? Our parents obviously like each other and I don't want you to ruin that happiness they feel towards each other." She rambled, before she could continue, I opened her door.