Nonna decided to join us - I had hoped without the photo albums, but much to my embarrassment, she thought it a perfect opportunity to take them out and showcase them.

Shawn sent mischievous glances my way as Nonna proudly flicked through the pages and pages of photographs, talking about each one as if the events in them happened yesterday.

When the last page had been viewed, I heaved a sigh of relief, thankful that the torment had ended. I decided that the worst was over, no awkward dinner would be as bad as, the man I had developed feelings for, seeing me through the stages of puberty.

We eased into a comfortable chatter, Nonna joking with Shawn as she would with me. I looked on fondly, wishing that I had a remote that could pause time, making it so that I could relive this scene forever, one where I didn't need to go back home and return to my average, non-exciting life, and one, where I wouldn't feel the eventual absence of both Shawn, and Nonna.

The sound of the doorbell broke me free from my thoughts, and Nonna stood up, brushed herself off, and left the room to go open the door.

Agreeing it was best to let Nonna do the initial greeting, Shawn and I followed a minute after, our hands finding their way to one another. He squeezed my hand in reassurance, and I knew that whatever happened, as long as his comforting presence was here, the evening would be tolerable.

An unbearable silence greeted us as we walked into the hallway. Fliss was stood anxiously, as her boyfriend looked around unsure of what to say, obviously having failed to make conversation with a very stern looking Nonna. However, he didn't strike me as seeming fazed or even remotely bothered by Nonna's cold reception.

His whole demeanour screamed arrogance. He was fairly tall, not as tall as Shawn though, and had light, almost shoulder length hair, contrasting against his tan skin. He was dressed in tight blue denim shorts, and a shirt that was left mostly unbuttoned. I could understand Fliss's attraction to him, he was quite good looking, however, the problem was, he knew that.

Seeing me enter, a look of relief flooded Fliss's face as she came over to us. I released Shawn's hand and embraced Fliss, who introduced us to her partner.

'This is Leo. Leo, this is my cousin Sofia, and her.. friend Shawn.' Fliss looked at me questionably about how she had introduced Shawn, but I only nodded supportingly. I had no idea myself what Shawn and I were, but we didn't need official titles or labels to know that it was more than a quick fling.

'I've heard a lot about you Sofia.' Leo stated, he wasn't overly warm or friendly at all.

'Oh, right, only good I hope.' I joked, hoping to lighten the mood in the intense atmosphere.

'Well, you should ask Fliss.' He said casually, smirking. My eyes widened in disbelief, as did Fliss. Shawn's eyes had begun to burn holes into Leo, and Nonna was shaking her head disapprovingly. I had only known this guy for less than a minute, and already, I majorly disliked him.

Instead of questioning Fliss about what his remark meant, knowing that this evening would be difficult enough without a cherry on top, I pushed down my hurt and suggested that we have dinner.

We moved to the dining room, the uncomfortable silence following us, as we took our place at the table. Shawn and I on one side, and Fliss and Leo opposite us. Shawn's hand found it's way to mine under the table, and I clutched on to it, finding comfort in his touch. He looked over at me worriedly, knowing that I would have taken offence to Leo's comment. That was one of my favourite things about Shawn, he was always ensuring that I was okay,  and if I wasn't, he knew it without me having to say it aloud.