7. See You Around

'It was nothing.' I said shrugging my shoulders and feigning interest in the cutlery pot that sat between us. 

'It sure didn't look like nothing, why do you think I took so long? I came out of the toilet expecting to see you alone, and there you were chatting with the best looking boy that we've ever seen in Cefalu. So I decided to live up to my title of being the best cousin ever, and left you guys to it.' She replied, sending me a mischievous smirk.

'Well I appreciate your thought, but there was no point really, seeing as, like I already told you, nothing happened.' I said, glancing around the café to see if our order was coming any time soon. And maybe looking for a particular face in the process.

Just as Fliss was about to reply with a sassy remark, Siena came over with our drinks. After passing my diet coke to me, I immediately took a sip, relishing the coldness of it and thanked her in return. As Siena turned to leave with her tray, Fliss opened her mouth.

'Siena, I hope you don't mind me asking but who is that boy working for you?' She said pointing to the boy that I had engaged in conversation with, only a few minutes ago. I kicked her leg under the table, hurling a glare. Fliss made a small noise of pain, that was overruled by Siena beginning to speak.

'Oh, that's Shawn. He recently moved here to spend the summer in one of those small houses that lie next to the beach. And as you know, Gino and I usually never hire, but there was something that day on his face when he came in to ask for a couple of month's work, to get some peace and quiet from his life in Canada, that meant I just couldn't turn him away. So we accepted. He speaks Italian beautifully, even though he told us that he had only been learning it the past couple of months to prepare for his trip here.  A really lovely boy, very polite and charming, and only nineteen years old as well!' Siena said beaming with pride as she looked over at him, approaching a table seating a family with two small children. He made it look easy, balancing a heavy tray in one hand and serving with the other. He lifted the children's plates  in the air and bought them down spiralling like an aeroplane. The children giggled and began to talk to him - words that I couldn't hear. Their parents looked elated at the natural effort he had made, and as they thanked him, Shawn ruffled the little boy's hair, recieving an awe-filled stare from the boy as he watched him turn away from the table.

Before Siena, Fliss and I could look away, Shawn had already noticed all three of us gaping at him. We couldn't have made it more obvious if we tried. He sent us all confused smile, his gaze hovering slightly longer on me, before heading back to the kitchen.

'I'll leave you girls to it.' Siena  warmly said, leaving just Fliss and I at the table.

'I can't believe you just did that.' I hissed, taking a bite of my cannoli. It was clear to see why this café was always so popular.

Fliss snorted. 'And I can't believe you whacked me under the table.'

Rolling my eyes, I decided to change topic and told her how my phone call with my mum went as we both finished our food.

'Literally, I had to hang up on my mum. I need to mentally prepare myself for when I next ring her, she'll be so mad that I didn't give her an explanation.' I chuckled.

Our laughing was interrupted as a familiar voice said 'You seem to have so much fun, on this table. Every time I come over, one of you are laughing or outsmarting the other' He said, the corners of his lips upturning into a smirk. 'It's a shame then that you keep on coming over and interrupting it.' I retorted cheekily. He seemed amused at my answer and shook his head lightly. 'Here's your bill. I hope everything was as good as you had hoped, ladies. Just come over to the till when you're ready.' And with that, he turned and walked away.

As we approached the till, Fliss quickly stuffed her money in my hand and muttered something about meeting me in the car and sharpishly turned and left. I knew exactly what she was doing.

I arrived at the till and contemplated things to say in my head. However once I got there, every single idea, left my brain.

'I see you didn't leave a tip, was my service that insufferable?' He said whilst mocking a sharp pain in his chest, seeing the money in his hand.

'You won't receive any tips from me until you treat me as nicely as you did those children you served earlier, I didn't see you making witty remarks to them.' I said forging a sweet smile, whilst trying to refrain from laughing on the inside.

'Is that so? Well from what you just said, I'm assuming you'll be visiting again sometime soon despite my apparent poor service.' Shawn said smugly.

'It's not like there are any other cafe's I can go to.' I bit back.

'What was that?' He said, acting as if he didn't know what I'd just said.

'We'll have to see Shawn.'

'Wait, how do you know my name?' Shawn said, that look of panic that I saw earlier, making an appearance.

'Siena told me.' His shoulders relaxed and it made we wonder why he always became so tense, but I thought nothing of it. He was probably just nervous, being in a location different to home - like anyone would be.

'I never quite caught your name.'

'It's Sofia.'

A smile emerged on his face, 'Well Sofia, I guess I'll see you around.'

Walking out the café, an ecstatic expression enveloped my face. The only noises I could hear as I walked to the car, were the ones of my shoes gliding over the cobbles and the distant crash of waves on rocks.

'Don't say anything.' I said to Fliss who beheld a hopeful look as I got into the passenger seat.

We drove off, and my smile didn't budge an inch.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

AN - What do you guys think so far? Do you like Sofia and Shawn so far? I really like Fliss I must say. Anyway, I'm off to bed, Sofia isn't the only one who can't deal with lack of sleep.