15. So, About That Date

'Remind me why I agreed to this again?' I crossed my arms, huffing, partially from nerves, and looked out the car window as we entered the centre of town.

'You'll thank me for it. I know that for a fact.' She looked over at me, keeping one eye on the road, and other gave me an irritatingly smug look.

I rolled my eyes, and turned up the radio, in the hope that it would wash my nerves away. I didn't know why I was nervous. I was so comfortable around him. Yet, knowing I was going to see him again, made my stomach erupt into flutters. Maybe that was a good sign.

Sooner than what I'd have liked, Fliss had parked up and turned off the engine. We got out and began to walk towards Bella Vista.

I combed my fingers through my hair, adding immediate volume, and pushed my sunglasses onto my head.

'Soph, you look great.' Fliss remarked, looking at my outfit. A white, off the shoulder blouse, tucked into a black denim skirt.

'As do you Fliss.' I smiled, pulling her in for a side hug. I truly loved my cousin, she always knew exactly what I needed. Even if she was annoying eighty percent of the time.

'Like always then.' I laughed at her cocky reply, knowing I had spoken too soon before her usual arrogance returned.

The familiar sound of the bell as we walked into the café, announced our presence. It was heaving with people, like always, and there were only a couple of tables left. The heavenly smell of fresh bread and pastries, hovered in the air, as we waited to be served.

Siena began to approach us, a few minutes after we'd arrived, boasting a sympathetic smile. Just as she was most likely about to apologise for the slow service, a diner waved her over to query her about something. But before Fliss could become restless, Shawn emerged, carrying plates that rested half way up his arm. The hustle and bustle of the café, all the sounds of clattering cutlery and diners conversing, had seemed to go mute. His eyes instantly found my own, and he gave me a grin of disbelief.

He re-composed himself, and quickly served the table their meal, making small talk as he did, before offering them that breathtaking smile. The one that made my insides tingle, and my heart, beat a little faster. How he did his job so effortlessly, astounded me. Managing to pull away from the customer, Siena resumed her way over to us.

'Don't worry Si, I've got these two.' Shawn chimed.

'Are you sure? You're already busy enough!'

'What's two more.'

'I don't know what we did to deserve you, you're such a good worker. Never go back home.' Siena beamed, patting him lightly on the back.

'I'm just going to pop to the bathroom, I won't be long.' Fliss turned so only I could see and winked over exaggeratedly. I rolled my eyes and tried to hold in a laugh that was desperate to come out. That left just Shawn and I.

'So you're on a nickname basis with the owner now? What a promotion.' I nudged his arm playfully, feeling a spark ignite through my veins at the contact. That was definitely a feeling I would never get used to.

'What can I say? It's hard not to be liked when you go by the name Shawn Mendes.'

Just as I was about to respond with something equally as cocky, Gino rushed past, nearly knocking me backwards with a pile of plates laying across his arms. Shawn instinctively placed a hand on the small of my back to stop me from harm, and I could feel the heat of his palm spread through the thin fabric of my blouse.

'I'm so sorry Sofia!'

'Honestly, don't be. I'm fine.' I laughed politely, feeling slightly disappointed that Shawn's hand had retreated and moved away from my lower back.