2. Today's The Day

The dreary sound of my alarm clock yanked me out of my peaceful sleep. Forgetting the whole reason as to why I'd set an alarm in the first place, I snuggled back into my pillow, savouring the warmth my bed was offering. Then it dawned on me. Today was the day.

I whipped the covers off me and bounded out of bed, immediately rushing to my en-suite bathroom. I turned the shower on, stripped out of my pyjamas and stepped into the cascading hot water. I was always a morning shower kind of person, to me, it was the nicest way to wake yourself up properly. I washed my cinnamon brown hair and gave my legs a quick shave, before I was back out and drying myself off.

Thoughts of how amazing the summer would be meandered through my head, before they were turned into nerves about how I would be leaving home for university in the next few months. I was so consumed in my thoughts that I didn't hear my younger sister, Violet, barge into my room.

'Soph? Mum wants me to tell you that you need to come down and have breakfast. She says no person in their right mind can travel on an empty stomach, and she's made pancakes!' My sister exclaimed playfully.

'I'll be down in two minutes Vi, don't eat them all before I get down!' I remarked back, leaving my bathroom with my towel wrapped around me, to fish some comfy clothes out my drawers.

She responded with a smirk and I heard her shout 'Better be quick then!' as she ran down the stairs.

Smiling to myself, I pulled out a simple white top with a small embroidered rose on the pocket and a pair of black leggings. I didn't understand how people could travel all dressed up, and let themselves be uncomfortable for a long period of time. Comfort over style any day.

After putting on my clothes and adding an old hoodie that I found stashed away at the bottom of my wardrobe, I brushed out my long, tangled hair before going to the kitchen to eat my weight's worth of pancakes.

As soon as I entered, the delicious smell of freshly cooked pancake batter hit my nose as I went to take my seat at the breakfast bar.

'I didn't know how hungry you'd be so I made plenty,' My mum said motioning to the plate stacked high with pancakes.

My mum was one of the most amazing women I knew. Everyone said I was the spitting image of her, mannerisms and looks alike, and to be honest, to me, that is one of the greatest compliments I could ever receive.

'Your dad had to leave early this morning, something urgent cropped up at work and he asked me to tell you how sorry he was that he couldn't see you off this morning, but that he'll be thinking of you,' My mum said, serving the last of the pancakes onto the plate. As sad as it made me that I wouldn't see him for the next two months, I knew that he would be feeling the exact same way.

'Anyway, let's eat girls.'

By the time we had all finished eating, my stomach was ready to burst. Drinking the last bit of my orange juice, I headed upstairs to get my stuff together. Luckily, being fairly organised, I had already packed my suitcase, and only had a few bits left to gather, to put in my hand luggage. I threw my charger, wallet and headphones into it.

Checking I had my passport and phone, I began to head downstairs where my mum and sister were waiting to drive me to the airport.

Straight away, Violet hauled my suitcase away and put it in the car, whilst my mum pulled me in for a tight hug.

'I'll miss you terribly, but I hope you have the most amazing time. I love you so much honey.' She whispered in my ear, I hugged her back equally as tight.

I noticed the tears ready to spill from her eyes as we pulled away, but being my mum, she said 'Don't do anything I wouldn't do.' With a playful smile lighting up her entire face. I went to respond with something cheeky, but was disturbed by Violet coming back in and reminding us of how late we'd be if we didn't set off soon.

Clambering into the car, and hearing the engine start up, I turned to my window and looked at the masses of trees and bushes blurring by. This was the last time I'd see some of these British country roads for a while, but to be honest, I was ready for this next adventure.

————————————————————————

AN - If you like this chapter, please vote. It'd mean the world!