13. The Morning After

My eyes fluttered open. It took me a second before the events of last night came flooding back. Shawn stayed the night. In my bed. Next to me.

I tried to roll over to see if he was still sleeping, but the weight of a body stopped me. I looked down, and saw that his muscular arm was slung over my side, and I could feel the warmth of his front, pressed up against my back.

Nothing with Jack had ever felt as exciting as it did with Shawn. He was like a comfort blanket, a stability in my life, but with Shawn, everything was so, so exhilarating. I didn't want to disturb him, but also, at the same time, just maybe, I wanted to savour this position for a little longer, so I shut my eyes, and pushed myself impossibly closer into his front, enjoying the feeling of his hard chest.

This was so unlike me, but I just couldn't help it. And something told me, that he wouldn't mind too.

My eyes adjusted to my surroundings. The warm sunlight shining through the curtains, painted the room in a golden colour. The only difference now, was that Shawn was missing from his place next to me, and his jeans were no longer on the floor. I realised I must've drifted back off to sleep, I looked at my clock and saw that it was only 8:30, rather early for me. Normally, I would never be awake until at least ten. Yet, I didn't feel drowsy, or tired. I was more alert and well-rested than I had ever been. I flung back the covers and made my way to the kitchen.

To my utter disappointment, Shawn was no-where to be seen. At first, I wondered if it could have been because of what happened last night. That he wanted to get away, to avoid any awkward conversations the following morning, but he and I both knew, that nothing we could do would ever make things uncomfortable for us. My over-thinking tendencies were taking over the majority of my thoughts, but that was until I saw a fresh pot of coffee, accompanied with some chopped fruit and a small note written in unfamiliar handwriting, laying on the kitchen counter.

'I'm so sorry I couldn't stay this morning, I had an early shift at Bella Vista. Last night was great, even if you did take up most of the bed. I hope breakfast is up to your standards. Drop me a text when you get the chance, and tell me how today goes with Rosa.'

His phone number was written slightly beneath the message. A smile the size of Sicily emerged on my face. God, even his handwriting had to be perfect. The fact that he could write a message with our usual banter but with care and thoughtfulness at the same time, showed just how much of a brilliant person he was. I could imagine the smirk he had on his face as he wrote it.

I poured myself a coffee and began to happily munch on the fruit Shawn had prepared for me. It had only been a week and yet the guy already remembered what I liked for breakfast, which earned no dissatisfaction from me.

I picked up the note, intending on keeping it, and walked back to my room with a spring in my step. I texted Fliss quickly, asking what time she'd be bringing Nonna back from the hospital. Yesterday, in between talking and spending time with Shawn, we texted, Fliss needing as much support as I did. We came to the conclusion, that she would pick Nonna up, seeing as she had a car, and would bring her back home, to spend a day with both her granddaughters.

I quickly got showered and dressed and just as I had finished blow-drying my hair, I heard the front door slam, and two voices down the hall.

I quickly made my way to them, and engulfed my Nonna in a hug as soon as I could.

'I'm so sorry for how I reacted yesterday, but now I've realised that things should be no different and that however long we do have together, I will make sure it's the best it can be. I just want you to be happy.'

'Oh Sofia. I very much like the sound of that.'

After hugging Fliss tightly too, we all went in to the living room where we spent the day reminiscing, laughing and relishing each other's company. And of course, the many board games we used to play as children made an appearance. There was nothing like a bit of friendly competition. Seeing my Nonna enjoy herself made my heart swell with happiness. I felt nothing but love for my Nonna and I intended to show her that, even if we didn't see eye to eye from time to time. I excused myself to go to the kitchen to get us some more drinks, and used it as an opportunity to text Shawn.

'Thank you for my breakfast this morning. It was very nice touch, I must say. Even the note, except I did not take up the whole bed I think we both know who the true culprit is here.

Rosa is back home, and she seems to be doing well. I've taken your advice, and I feel much better. And happier.'

I pressed the send button. I put my phone on the counter, expecting to wait a while for the reply knowing he was working. But a familiar buzz a minute after, sent my excitement wild.

'We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm glad to hear that Rosa is happy, and I'll come over to see her soon. And maybe a certain someone else.'

————————————————————————

AN - This was mostly a filler chapter, I'm so excited for the next chapters because they're going to be so fun to write. An official first date may be in the cards. But we'll have to see. Seeing when my story gets votes, honestly makes my day. So if you did enjoy, please vote. (And look at me with the quick update!)