12. Deal

The rain showed no signs of stopping. I had never been a particular fan of storms, but there was something oddly calming about them - watching them batter the outside world, whilst in the comfort of your own home - safe, dry and warm. Watching a storm with Shawn, was even better.

We sat curled up on the sofa, drinking hot chocolate from mugs, our knees slightly touching. Even the simplest gesture from Shawn could make my whole body respond in a way, that was out of my control.

'Did you come here by yourself?' Shawn asked, taking a sip of his drink.

'Yeah, at first the idea was it'd be a family holiday but my dad had to work this summer, he's going to Tokyo on a business trip, and my sister had her grade 3 guitar exam, which she couldn't change the date of and my mum didn't want her to be alone, so it ended up just being me.' I laughed at how disorganised my family was.

'Your sister plays guitar? What's her name?'

'Her name's Violet and she's played for the past couple of years. She's actually pretty good.'

'I'll have to hear her play sometime. I play guitar too.'

'No way! I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument but it was just something I was never good at. I remember playing a piano at school one time. Needless to say, I never played it again.' I chuckled at the memory.

'Anyone can learn to play an instrument. It takes a lot of time and practise, but if you do that, it pays off. I learnt how to play by watching YouTube tutorials, I never had lessons. So if I can do it, then you can too. I could teach you how to play if you want?'

'Really? You'd do that?'

'Anything for you Miss Evans.' He smirked and I stuck my hand out.

'We need to shake on it, so that even if it sounds dreadful, and even if I nearly break your guitar, you can't go back on your word.'

'Fine, then. Deal' He placed his hand in mine, and shook firmly.

'You can't get out of this one now.' I grinned, knowing he would regret agreeing to it. 'So are there any other musical talents I should be aware of?'

'Well, erm, I sort of, sing.' His eyes focused intently on anything but my own.

'Sort of?' I asked, drawing his attention back to me.

'Yeah, I occasionally sing. And I sometimes write my own stuff, but nothing serious.'

'I wish I could sing. I just sound like a dying cat.'

'I bet you don't.'

'Trust me on this one. I don't want to damage your ears by proving it to you.' Shawn's head tilted back in laughter.

'Well, if I miraculously learn to play the guitar, you can sing for me.' I suggested, hoping he'd agree. His speaking voice alone I could listen to all day, but his singing voice. That was something I needed to hear because I knew it would be amazing, despite his humble personality trying to reckon he was mediocre.

'Well, let's make sure that my teaching skills are rubbish then.' He said giving me a sly smile.

The evening was full of laughter, bickering and talking about the most random subjects. Being around Shawn, was almost like being around a masculine version of me. Everything was so easy, nothing was forced or awkward, it was just so natural, and I felt I could tell him anything, even an embarrassing story from years ago, and know he would still look at me the same.

He told me he had a sister himself, called Aaliyah who was 14 years old, and that they were extremely close. I could tell from the way his eyes lit up when he spoke about her, that he truly admired and loved his little sister, which only made him more... attractive.