14. Excuse

The next few days passed by like a blur. Nonna and I had always been close, but, now, it felt as if we were even closer. Seeing as she didn't want a massive fuss, and still wanted to keep her independence, we didn't spend every waking minute together.

She went out and did what she wanted, me sometimes going with her, and other times, just Fliss and I would go out for an afternoon, which would be spent gossiping, laughing and most of the time, eating.

So far, summer had been nothing like what I expected. I never realised coming back after so long would make me so happy in itself, to feel, and see, and hear all the sights that are tied to Cefalú, and Cefalú only. But I also never anticipated Nonna's illness, and in the heat of the moment, when I first found out, it seemed like the end of the world. It seemed like nothing could continue, and that I'd constantly have a shadow of sadness following me around for every day that I lived. But perspective is a great thing. As well as some thoughtful advice from a particular someone. So now, I feel as if this whole experience, has already taught me an important lesson. To understand that nothing can last forever, no matter how fiercely you love them.

Shawn and I had been texting each other, every other spare moment of the day. And most days before I went to sleep, he would ring and ask me how my day had been. Something so small, but one of the most special things a person had ever done for me. We would talk for hours, but it would only feel like ten minutes. The conversation always ended, very far away from the initial topic. But that was what made everything so brilliant between us. No small talk was ever forced. I had never met anyone like him before, I found myself fascinated by him. He was so humble, kind, and open to seeing things in a different way. Also, he was probably the funniest person I had ever met. But I would never tell Fliss that, it wouldn't be worth the abuse. The most captivating parts of him though, were the small things. Like how when he talked about things he was passionate about, you could hear the animation in his voice, and even his smile through the phone. Or when he would tease me about those damn pyjamas I wore when he slept over. My biggest regret to date.

I had never been the type of person to chat on the phone. Personally, I'd always found it rather awkward. But Shawn had definitely changed that. Just like many other things in the two weeks of knowing him. He still had shifts at Bella Vista, and knowing what Siena could be like - I didn't want to distract him too much from his work.

'Earth to Sofia.' I was pulled out of my thoughts by Félicité's arms waving wildly in front of my eyes. We were sat in the conservatory, savouring the last bit of warmth the sun had to offer, before it disappeared for the night.

Pushing them away, I rolled my eyes.

'Well are you going to answer my question. Did you ever talk to that hot guy you met at the café? If you haven't, I certainly will. Wouldn't want to waste him.' She said, winking at me.

'Well it's a shame for you then because I already have.' Grinning, I awaited the wrath of my cousin.

'How could you not have told me?! I can't believe you! I thought we told each other everything. Especially things like this. I mean I am kind of excited for you. But Oh my god Soph, you need to tell me everything.'

I cut off her persistent gushing and answered her question in full. I told her about the cakes, and how we went out for breakfast, about how he was there for me after finding out about Nonna, how he'd stayed over, which earned a squeal of disbelief from Fliss, and how ever since we had been talking non-stop.

'You need to see him again Soph. It's not everyday you have somebody like him showing an interest in you. Plus, not to be a downer, but you will go home at some point, so there's point in making the most of your time together. It's obvious he likes you.'

'You really think so? I mean, I'm not very popular with the guys at home. I don't want to go into something that could potentially not be reciprocated. Maybe he only wants to be friends?'

Fliss raised her eyebrows. 'Sofia. Your worst trait is that you're an over-thinker. You are beautiful. And you are smart, and funny and one of the most caring people I know. All the guys know that, it's just that they're not after a girl with class, they're after someone to share a quickie with in the back of some nightclub toilet. Shawn has gotten to know you. He's taken the time to really get to know you, and trust me, if he didn't like you, he wouldn't be talking to you right now, and specifically in the way that he is. You need to live a little more, Soph, and put more trust in others.'

I instantly felt better - Fliss definitely knew the right things to say. 'Thank you.'

'What're you thanking me for? I'm your cousin. I'll tell you the truth regardless of whether it's what you want to hear. You know me, I say what I think - and you need to have more faith in yourself, because you are good enough. Just because it didn't work out with Jack, it doesn't say the rest about your future love life.'

'You're right.'

'When am I not?' She said reclining back in her chair, a smug expression filling her face.

'Oh shut up, don't make me regret telling you about him. The issue isn't so much about seeing him again, it's about fitting it in around the time he works.'

'Fine then, me and you can go out for lunch tomorrow. Then you have no excuse.'

————————————————————————

AN - I love how Fliss and Sofia's relationship is developing. What do you all think about Fliss? I feel like she's the person to say what everyone is thinking, even if it's not at an appropriate time. I also am really happy with the way that Shawn and Sofia's romance is growing. I would continue writing and make this an extra long chapter, or at least where they meet in person- but it's 2:50 in the morning (UK) and I'm nearly asleep. Please don't forget to share, vote and comment. My reads are going up and it honestly makes me so happy. Thank you to all of you who have read this book, I hope you're enjoying it, and I hope you enjoy what is to come!