9. At Your Service

I rushed inside and grabbed my phone, along with some money that was lying on my dressing table, and put it in a small bag. I hurried to get back to the car, not wanting to leave Shawn waiting too long and briefly looking at the mirror hanging in the hall, I noticed I hadn't undone my hair. I freed it from the messy state it was currently in, and with a final glance at my appearance, I was out the door.

The passenger door had been left open for me so I clambered in.

'This car is incredible.' I was no car expert, however I knew a good car when I saw one, and from the looks of this, it would cost more than I'd like to imagine.  The smell of fresh leather lingered in the air and I admired how pristine everything was.

'It's a 1967 Ferrari Dino. It's not mine, though I wish it was, but I decided that while I was out here, there was point in going all out, so I hired it.'

It was only until I was in a confined space with him that I realised how good he smelled. He started the engine and we drove off, instantly sparking an open and relaxed conversation.

Being around Shawn and talking to him came naturally and just felt so comfortable, which was very unlike me seeing as, normally, it took me a while to be confident around new people.

'So how long have you been in Cefalú for?' He asked, his fingers lightly tapping the steering wheel to the rhythm of a song playing softly through the speakers.

'I've only been here for a week, but as you know, I have family here so I've been coming ever since I can remember really. I hadn't visited in four years and seeing as I had an extra long summer, I thought I would make the most of it and visit them again. You never realise how much you miss it until you're back.'

'I hope you don't mind me asking but why do you have an extra long summer?'

'Oh, I just finished my exams, and I'm currently awaiting my results, and if I get the grades, I'll hopefully be going to Cambridge.'

'Honestly I wouldn't worry, I haven't known you very long and already you seem like a very mature and intelligent girl - any university would be lucky to have you.' He said, his eyes merging into mine, and smiling. A real, genuine smile.

'Thank you so much, anyway enough about me, what brings you here?' I asked, trying to hide the blush that was creeping onto my cheeks.

He began to rub the back of his neck awkwardly, still clutching the wheel tightly in his left hand, 'Erm, well I just wanted a break from Canada really, as great as it is there, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to be in a new place for a while.'

'I don't blame you. Sometimes, it's nice to just get away from the life you have at home, and even when you're away, you know you can always go back whenever you want, because however long you go for, home will always be waiting for you.'

'And that is where you are correct Soph. Obviously I miss my family, but after spending a month here now, I'm growing very fond of this place.' He remarked, parking up outside Bella Vista. After dropping off the cakes to a very thankful Gina and Siena, we made our way to the surprise destination.

A small stall, lying next to the beachfront. A few vintage table and chairs had been placed around it, only one of the tables were full and the view, was beautiful.

'I usually come here when Bella Vista gets too busy, it's kind of out of the way so no-one really knows about it. I stumbled across it one time when I went on a walk to clear my head, and I've been desperate to come, but the truth is, I've had no-one to come with. The struggle of travelling alone.' Shawn joked, pushing a few loose curls back onto his head, that had fallen out of place.

'I feel very privileged.' Laughing, I went to open my door.

'As you should. Wait, hold on.'

I stared at him in confusion as he walked round the car, and came over to my door. He opened it and held out his hand for me. I eagerly reached for it, and he helped me out the car, the feeling of his hand on my own sending small sparks all the way up my arm.

'At your service.' He said feigning a bow.

'You're such an idiot.' I grinned, unable to contain my amusement.

We walked to the stall, and ordered, a constant stream of flirtatious banter loitering between us. I decided upon a fruit smoothie, whilst Shawn opted for a coffee, and we both decided to get a crêpe.

Before we reached our table, Shawn had already pulled out my chair for me.

'Woah, this is the second charming thing you've done for me today, be careful, I'll start expecting it if you carry on.' I said, teasing as I made myself comfortable.

'Don't get too used to it.'

As we waited for our food to arrive, we shared stories about our childhood, family, interests and future plans. Nothing was forced around him, I felt like I could be my entire true self and he wouldn't look at me any differently. It was so refreshing, to converse with someone who was on a similar wavelength to me.

Our breakfast was almost as tasty as Bella Vista's. As we ate, Shawn never failed to make me laugh and educated me on how Canada was different to England. He had British relations, and enjoyed visiting England, so we chatted about our shared love of the country and what it had to offer.

Just as Shawn said something that made me chuckle, my phone began to ring. It was from an unknown caller. Mouthing to Shawn, that I wouldn't be very long, I answered.

'Hello?' I asked, wondering who was on the other other end of the phone.

'Is this Sofia Evans?'

'Yes, this is she. Who is this?'

'I am calling from the Cefalú Accident and Emergency Unit. Your grandmother, Rosa Albergo, collapsed and is currently receiving treatment.' I pressed my hand to my mouth in shock, feeling tears glisten in my eyes.

'Is she okay?!'

'We are doing our best to try and maintain her current state, but these falls could be the symptoms of something more severe.'

'I'm, I'm on my way. I'll be there as soon as possible.' I ended the call, grasping my bag, and stuttered to Shawn the situation that was currently becoming my worst nightmare.

'Let's go to the car, I'll drive.'

'Are you sure? You honestly don't need to come, I don't want you to feel like you.....'

He cut me off. 'Sofia. I am coming with you regardless.'

He quickly pulled out 15 euros and placed it on the table. The walk to the car felt like the longest walk of my life, even though we were both nearly sprinting.  Time seemed to slow as every possible scenario spun through my head. Feeling numb, I crawled into my seat and didn't even notice that the car had begun to speed off into the distance.

I prayed that she was okay. She had to be.

————————————————————————
AN - I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I'm really proud of this chapter, and I made it extra long to make up for the time it took. Please vote if you enjoyed - it'd mean the world to me. 😊