Notes

Peter Parker was sitting in Science class, bored and staring at Betty Brant, his crush. He's had problems confronting and confessing this to her. So, he decided to write her a note.

Hey, it's Peter. Peter Parker.

He passed this over to her desk. As he waited for a response, he turned his attention back to the teacher. When the note had reached Betty herself, she thought nothing of it and passed it behind her, ending up in Michelle Jones's desk.

  "What's this?" She whispered to her. Betty shrugged. She opened and read it. Her heart was all over the place. Her crush finally noticed her. She grabbed a piece of paper and wrote back.

Hey. Writing to me, are you now?

She grinned as she passed it back to Peter. These two kept at it for at least two days, talking about everything they had in common, and just sharing bittersweet memories together. They even put post-it notes on each other's locker. Peter was putting the post-it note on Betty's locker. Coincidentally enough, it was beside MJ's. Whenever she saw the note on Betty's locker, she just thought that it was mistaken as hers. One day, Peter asked her if they could meet at the gymnasium. And of course, she agreed.

      The next day after school, Peter waited for who he thought was Betty. He stayed there for 30 minutes, then Michelle showed up. Her face lit up when she saw Peter there. A frown came creeping up on her face immediately when he ignored her and left.

The day after that, he put a post-it note on Betty's locker. MJ read it.

Why didn't you show up yesterday?

Can we meet again at the same place?

-Peter♡

  "But I did." She mumbles to herself.

Later, she confronts Peter back in the gymnasium. She shows the note to him.

  "BUT I DID MEET UP WITH YOU YESTERDAY AND YOU IGNORED ME!" She shouts, leaving him confused.

  "...what? What do you mean? And what's that?" He notices the note. "That's for Betty, not you! Oh god, did I put it on the wrong locker?" She had a stunned look across her face. She was heartbroken.

  "..No, no you didn't. I just.. I thought you were passing me all those notes from Science class."

  "That.. that was all you? The one that said 'I love Star Wars and old films too'?"

  "Yeah, it was all me." Peter didn't know he had so much in common with MJ. Sure, they talked, but they never really talked. He thought he fell in love with someone else when really, he fell for the girl he always ignored. He was suddenly seeing her in a different light. And because he wasn't talking, Michelle decided to break the awkward silence between them while thoughts ran in his mind. "I'm so sorry, I really thought you were talking to me that day. I understand you like Betty. Excuse me." She walked past him. She got faster and faster with every step she took.

  "Michelle, wait-" He called out to her, but she was already gone. She went straight to the girl's bathroom and she leaned on the sink, silently sobbing. Why do we always fall for the ones we could never have?, she thought.

***The Next Day***

      Michelle tried avoiding Peter the entire day. But whenever he saw her, she'd call out to her, and she's just walk even faster. He decided to talk to Ned about all of this.

  "So.. you thought you were talking to Betty when really, it was Michelle?"

  "Yeah, basically."

  "And now she's avoiding you, why?"

  "I honestly don't know."

  "She probably thinks you still like Betty, and MJ obviously likes you. She hates you now for giving her false hope."

  "But I didn't mean to!"

  "You should've just talked to Betty in person, man." Peter sighed at this.

  "Ned, I had no idea that me and Michelle had so much in common."

  "Do you like her, then?"

  "What?"

  "Well, I mean, you seemed to have already fallen in love with the one you were always writing to."

  "I thought it was Betty!"

  "But it wasn't..." Peter was confused. Ned was getting onto something, he just didn't understand what, exactly. He saw the puzzled look on Peter's face and groaned. "Don't you get it? You like MJ!"

  "No.. No I don't."

  "Yeah, keep telling yourself that." And with that, he left him be in his own thoughts.

      Before Ned left Peter's house, he gave him Michelle's number.

  "Talk to her." He said. Peter nodded, then closed the door.

He dialed her number on his phone and it started to ring. Each ring made him even more nervous.

  "Hello? Who is this?" MJ asked.

  "Hey MJ." He said calmly.

  "Peter." She said, biting back tears. She breathed deeply and composed herself. "Why'd you call?"

  "I just wanted to talk.. about yesterday.."

  "No, I get it. You like Betty. You thought I was her and it was all just an honest mistake."

  "No, I-" He paused and exhaled. "I fell in love with the person I was talking to through those notes. And that person just so happens to be you." Michelle's heart fluttered. "So... can I see you tomorrow, then?"

  "Yeah." She nodded profusely, grinning. Thank god he isn't here to see me like this, she thought.

***The Next Day***

      Michelle went over to Peter's locker. She leaned back on them while Peter closed his, revealing MJ. His face lit up and hers did too.

  "Hey." He softly said.

  "Hi." She said, tucking a bang behind her ear.

  "So.. can we start over?" He asked. She nodded. "I'm Peter." He held out his right hand.

  "I'm MJ." She shook it. He put her right hand in his left and intertwined fingers. Michelle smiled.

  "You must really like me if you're smiling that hard."

  "I do. I really really do."