A Turn of Events

Peter Parker prepared for his date with Betty Brant. He asked her out yesterday at school because Ned dared him to. He didn't want his best friend to be alone all his life.

      Peter picked up Betty and he decided to take her to the nearest restaurant, a couple of blocks from her house. He was allowed to drive Uncle Ben's car since he already retrieved his license.

      Michelle Jones was asked out by Jason Ionello and was now preparing herself for her first date. She didn't know how to dress as a typical girl going to her first date. She suddenly remembered the sunday dress she bought for prom and decided to wear that instead. She let her curly brown locks fall down on her back. She owned no makeup at all but she figured she didn't need to impress Jason. If he likes her, then okay. If he doesn't, then that's fine too. She wasn't desperate to be in a relationship at the moment anyways.

      She had arrived earlier than Jason and took a seat close to the window. A few meters away, she saw Peter and Betty.

The two talked about a lot of stuff, mostly things that they had in common. But then as the conversation went on, they had changed the topic. They were now talking about their future and the school they'll be going to once they graduate high school.

      Meanwhile on the far end of the restaurant, Michelle was still waiting for her date. She looked over at Peter and Betty and noticed that they were now eating. She figured she'd been ditched by Jason. The thought of her being ditched at her first date brought her to tears.

Betty told Peter that she was going to be taken home by her mom tonight. Her mom called her and told her she was now gonna pick her up. She stood up from her table and left, kissing Peter on the cheek and thanking him for a great night. As Peter looked over at Betty leaving, his eyes had gazed over at Michelle, sitting on the window seat, crying. He didn't know what came over him but he started to walk over to her.

  "Hey, Michelle... What's up?" He shyly asked, sitting opposite her.

  "Oh." She wiped her tears quickly. "Hey, Peter."

  "So uhh, what brings you here?"

  "Jason Ionello asked me out and... well.. I guess he ditched me." She scoffed.

  "Oh. Well, wanna go somewhere?"

  "What did you have in mind?"

  "It's a surprise. Wanna come?" He held out his hand. MJ grinned, then gave a quick nod.

  "Okay, seriously, where are we going?" asked curious Michelle once they were in the car.

  "Somewhere really special. You didn't dress up tonight for nothing, y'know."

  "Yeah well my date freaking ditched me! So I guess I did dress up for nothing." She crossed her arms.

  "We're not putting this special night to waste, MJ. Just sit tight. I'll make sure this is a night you will never forget." Peter smirked confidently as he turned on the engine and drove off.

      They arrived at a park. It looked magical at night. Michelle looked around in awe seeing how beautiful it was. She realized that it had been a while since she went to a park. She always cages herself in her room, either studying or reading a good book.

  "Welcome to Corona Park." said Peter, stretching his arms out, like embracing his surroundings. "Such a beauty, isn't it?"

  "It, it really is..."

The most magical thing, Michelle noticed, that stood out to her around the park was the gazebo. Around it was lit up in hanging fairy lights, giving off a romantic vibe. Peter noticed she wanted to go up there. He grabbed her hand and he ran towards it.

  "This... I'm.... Wow." She was speechless. Everything that Peter had been showing to her was incredible. She enjoyed every single second she spent with him. It wasn't like she had a crush on him or anything but after all of this, she was second-guessing her feelings.

Peter looked at MJ, still marvelling at the beauty of nature surrounding her. He realized that after all this time, he was always reaching for the unattainable and overlooked what was right there in front of him, and it was her. It was MJ all along.

  "MJ.. I.." He started, and she looked over to him.

  "Yeah?" She asked. Peter cupped her cheek and quickly leaned in for a kiss.

For them, it seemed like time had actually stopped. They thought it was just a cliche in movies, but they stood corrected.

      Michelle forgot her supposed-to-be date with Jason instantly like a snap of her fingers, just like that. Tonight was spectacular. Peter was right, it turned into a night she would never ever forget.