Prom Night

It was Prom Night in Midtown School of Science and Technology. Peter Parker wanted to go, he just didn't know who he could go with. Usually, he and his best friend Ned Leeds would go to school events together. But this time, Ned had a date--his girlfriend, Betty Brant. And of course, Peter didn't want to be a third wheel (because who in their right mind would, right?). So he decided to ask his good friend Michelle Jones to be his date.

Now, in her case, she didn't really want to attend such event. That is, unless she was asked to. She wasn't particularly fond of these types of events where students are forced to socialize with each other, when really, they all secretly hate each other. More drama brews up during times like these, shit gets spilled, pictures and receipts get leaked, you guessed it, typical teen movie mayhem. And of course, who wouldn't want to see these things first-hand? Michelle isn't the type to pass this up, but also, she didn't want to be involved in any of that shit at all. But here was Peter Parker, the boy she has somewhat of a crush on for a while now, asking her out to Prom. Who in their right mind would ever pass that up?

      He was going to pick her up at 7, using Uncle Ben's old truck. Once he had arrived at her house, he walked to the pathway leading to her doorstep. Her parents answered the door and had "the talk" with him. After that, they made way for their daughter to walk out, whilst Peter had intense love eyes staring at her.

  "We're gonna go now, Mom." Michelle said, dismissing her parents.

  "No no no, not yet!" Her parents said and she rolled her eyes at this.

  "What now?"

  "I'm taking a picture of the two of you. Go on, closer." Her mom gestured for them to move closer.

  "Peter, is it?" asked the mom.

  "Yes, ma'am." He replied.

  "Yeah, uh, put your.. arm around her."

  "Like.. like this?" He put his arms around her waist, which took Michelle by surprise and blushed.

  "Sure, yeah." She set up her camera and in a few seconds, she clicked. "Perfect. The two of you look wonderful." She said, previewing the photo.

  "Can we go now, mom?" asked Michelle, clearly annoyed.

  "Go on now, sweetie. Have fun!" She told them as they walked off to the truck.

  "But not too much fun!" Her dad joked and she looked back at him and gave him a fake-laughing face. As she hopped on the passenger seat, Peter looked at her, smiled and shook his head.

  "What? My parents are weird and you don't have to tell me that 'cause I already know that." She said, putting the seat belt on.

  "No, it's not that. You just have a really cool family, is all." She suddenly remembered when he'd told her about his parents. Michelle put her hand on his shoulder and patted it. She gave him a small smile.

  "So," Peter said, revving up the engine. "Shall we?"

***At Midtown***

      After Peter parked the truck, the two stopped in front of the entrance. It suddenly took him back 2 years ago, when Liz's dad had warned him about intervening his schemes. He wondered where he is now, could be in jail, still? Or maybe continuing to live his not-so-normal life with his unusual ways of getting by. But none of it mattered anymore. He took one glance at Michelle and reminded himself that he was here, right by her side, and that they were gonna have the best prom of their lives. He put his arm out for her, and she looped hers around his.

As they entered, they saw Ned Leeds waving at them from the punch table. Betty Brant, his date, right beside him. They walked over to them and greeted each other. A few minutes later, the four decided to take photos together in the photo booth. Later, Betty and Ned started dancing on the dance floor while Peter and MJ were left at their table.

  "I actually had second thoughts about attending." She confessed.

  "Why?"

  "Because I didn't have a date. And also because I just hate socializing. Mostly the latter but whatever."

  "You only considered coming because I asked you if you could come with me?" She nodded at this. "Not to come across 'rude' or anything but.. why did you agree to go with me?"

  "Well.. you see.. I-" The song had changed into Better Now by Post Malone, which put Michelle on her feet. She grabbed Peter's hand, pulled him and dragged him towards the dance floor. "I fucking love this song!"

  "Okay, okay, we'll dance to it!" They went over to Betty and Ned and started singing to the lyrics and jumping up and down to every beat. Peter looked at MJ and realized that this was the first time he'd seen her this happy. He continued on dancing with her.

The song switched to a much slower one. Everyone started slow dancing and swayed to the mellow and gentle beat of the song. Peter's arms were around Michelle's waist and her arms were wrapped around his neck. Her head rested on his shoulder.

  "This song makes me wanna fall asleep." She blurted out, ruining the moment.

  "Wanna go outside for a bit?" He asked. She nodded.

      Peter and Michelle sat on the back of Uncle Ben's old truck. A few moments of sitting still and looking at the stars, she placed her head on his shoulder yet again.

  "I'm gonna be real with you here, this truck of yours is really nice. Wish I had one."

  "It was my Uncle's." She felt the pain in his voice when he mentioned Ben and she suddenly looked up at him and held his arm. A cold breeze swept over them and Michelle shivered. "Oh. Hang on." He removed his suit's coat and put it around her.

  "Thanks." Their faces were mere inches apart. To avoid making the situation awkward, Peter looked away and focused on his hands.

  "What were you gonna tell me earlier, again? Before we started dancing on the dance floor?"

  "About?"

  "I asked you why did you agree to coming with me to prom despite you not wanting to go in the first place?"

  "Oh. Well.. Heh." She looked downward and shook her head. "You're gonna hate me if I tell you why so I'm just gonna shut up."

  "Why would I ever hate you?"

  "Because... Reasons."

  "Oh come on, you can tell me anything. What is it, Michelle?"

 "Here's the thing. Pete, I.. I've had a crush on you for a while now. Actually, I wasn't too sure that I did.. Until now, I guess."

  "Well, good thing is I don't hate you."

  "Heh. Right."

  "But.. I am a bit confused."

  "Why? And about what?"

  "Because I have no idea why you would like me, y'know?"

  "Well, you're one of the kindest people I've ever met. You treat everyone equally, and that's what I like most about you. You're such a gentleman. And like, you're the type who will listen to their friend's rants and stuff and will always be there for them, and I love that."

  "Wow. Thanks, I guess?"

  "You're welcome. I know I haven't been the best at being your friend but.."

  "Hey! Don't say that. You've always been there for me when nobody else was."

  "Well, I do try." She let out a small smile.

  "And you're great at it too." He nudged her shoulder with his. She looked up and faced him, their eyes meeting gazes. All of a sudden, Peter saw something in MJ that he never did before. He couldn't quite put his finger on it. But to him, it did feel like he was seeing her for the first time. "Have I ever told you that you have the most beautiful pair of brown eyes I've ever seen?"

  "What-" But before she could finish, Peter had pulled her in a gentle kiss. Suddenly, the cold breeze died down, and the two slowly pulled away. They stayed on the same post-kiss position for a while, their hands cupping each other's faces, foreheads leaning on each others'.

  "I think I like you too, Michelle Jones."