What I've Been Looking For

(Song starts at 4:18)

* * *

      During their free period, Michelle decided to go to the library and look for a good book to read and perhaps borrow. She surprisingly finished her last book at such a short period of time. A few minutes later, Peter walked in as well, looking for a book at the reference section. A few shelves later, he wasn't able to find the book he was looking for. Instead of leaving, he decided to go to the New Acquisition section, where MJ was, skimming through the plots of each book. Both of them picked up a book at opposite sides of the bookshelf and met gazes.

  "Hey." said Peter. MJ just nodded. "What'cha lookin' for?" He awkwardly asked.

  "A good book. Any suggestions?"

  "Uhh.." He couldn't think of a book title with its author right now. So he lingered his gaze on the books and picked one entitled The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. "How about this one?" He held it up to show her.

  "Sure, I can read that. Hand it over." They met at the end of the bookshelf and handed the book over. "Thanks." She gave him a slight smile making Peter's heart leap a little bit. "You should read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Y'know, if you're having trouble finding a novel to start reading, that's a good start." She said, walking over to a desk.

  "Okay. Thanks." MJ nodded at him, sitting on her desk.

Peter skimmed through the book titles on the shelves and found the book she was talking about. He grabbed it and sat on a table a few meters away from Michelle, so she was still on sight. He opened the book and started reading, but he couldn't focus at all. He looked over at her a few times and she couldn't stop looking back. Whenever they met eyes, they slowly hid their faces behind their books, hiding their reddening faces.

***After school***

      Michelle went to the bookstore to buy the whole Chaos Walking trilogy. She read through 50 pages in the first book earlier at school and she loved it. Peter decided to go there as well because he wants to give Aunt May a copy of a book she really loves but her co-worker never bothered to return it after she borrowed it.

The same thing that happened to them earlier at the school library happened again at the bookstore. Both of them were nervous to talk but Peter panicked and muttered a "Hi".

  "What're you doing here?" She asked, swiftly picking up all three Chaos Walking books.

  "I was trying to find this book for Aunt May." He told her the title and she conveniently found the book on her side of the shelf. "Thanks." He said.

  "No problem." The both of them walked over to the cashier.

  "Did you wanna, go out sometime? I don't know, watch a movie or something?" He asked while they waited in line.

  "Umm... yeah, sure. I mean, tonight's good." She replied, her voice getting smaller and smaller on each word.

  "Yeah. I'll pick you up tonight." He said. "Y'know what, all that's on me." Peter continued, pointing at the small stack of books on MJ's hands.

  "No, I can pay."

  "No, I insist. Take this as a 'thanks' for the book suggestion."

  "Well, okay." She smiled a little. Peter grinned.

***At Peter's house***

      Peter invited Ned over and asked him for advice.

  "Dude, I don't know what I was thinking. It was just like.. the perfect moment and I just had to ask her out. But I don't know how to.. act around her. I'm so awkward around her and I don't know how to form words." Peter said in a very panicked tone.

  "Relax, you can do this!" Ned optimistically said, putting on Peter's Spiderman mask.

  "I just.. I don't know how to impress her."

  "She's full of surprises, Pete. Just be yourself around her and I'm sure it'll work out just fine."

      A few hours later, he changed into a white shirt, a black denim jacket and converse black and white shoes. He then drove over to Michelle's house and pressed the doorbell on her doorstep. She answered the door, revealing her in a lilac sunday dress with her hair in a high bun. She wore beige sandals and a light brown shoulder bag.

  "Bye mom. I'm just going out with a friend." She said.

  "Okay, honey. Have fun!" A voice from the inside replied.

  "You already have a license? Damn." said Michelle, getting inside the passenger seat of the car while Peter held open the door.

  "Yeah. You haven't?" Peter replied, getting inside the driver's seat.

  "Nahh. I prefer public transportation."

      Peter and MJ decided to watch The Greatest Showman and bought one large popcorn box for them to share. They often bump their hands whenever they grab popcorn from the bucket during the movie. They now thought that getting one box probably wasn't the best idea. Whenever someone kissed onscreen, the two would awkwardly glance at each other and look back at the screen.

      When he drove her back home, he walked her over to the front porch.

  "So, did you like it? The movie, I mean." asked Peter.

  "I loved it."

  "That pretty girl named Anne actually looked like you." He pointed out.

  "...You think I'm pretty?"

  "Uhh.." He didn't know what to say. A simple 'yes' would suffice and he knew that. The problem is, he couldn't say it at all. MJ chuckled and kissed him on the cheek.

  "Thanks for tonight. See you at school?"

  "Umm.. Yeah. See.. see ya." Michelle closed the door and Peter still stayed there. Seconds later, he walked back to his car, thrusting his right fist in the air.