The Empty Hearse Part 3

I sat in Sherlock's chair, legs criss crossed and my laptop lying on top of them. Sherlock stood on the couch staring at his wall, writing down information and crossing things off as they came in through his Holmesless network, as I liked to call it.

"Sherlock?" I asked, looking up from my research.

"Hmm?" He replied.

"Have you talked to John?" I asked.

"I've tried talking to him. He made his position quite clear." He answered vaguely.

"Well what did he say?" I asked.

"Fuck off." Sherlock looked back to me.

"Dear me. I thought he'd be more excited that you were back. After he got over all that pent up aggression. I mean, he probably hit you, what? Three times?" I asked.

"Yes. Though you hit harder. That was two years ago and I can still feel it." He rubbed his cheek with a smirk.

"Well that's your fault. Your cheekbones are practically glass. It probably hurt my hand more." I argued. Typing away, answering emails, being the boss.

"Ugh, I need a case." Sherlock whinned.

"You have a case! A very important, possibly imminent terrorist attack one!" I argued.

"Yes, well in the time being I need another case. And another case while I'm waiting for that one." He argued, making his way to sit in front of me.

"Ok, I know what this is," I placed my laptop on the ground and unfolded my legs, "You want a chance to show off. In front of people, real clients. You've missed this, you've been gone for two years. If a terror attack is just too boring for you, be my guest! Go out and find the embezzling botox husbands, the pen pal catfishing stepfathers, whatever you've really been craving for the last two years."

"Those were oddly specific." He squinted suspiciously, "And if doing those things were to make me happy, you'd let me?"

"As long as you don't let this case fall between the cracks. It's not that I love you less, but I love London more." I smirked.

"Hmm. I thought Shakespeare was supposed to be romantic." Sherlock rolled his eyes.

"Don't worry. Lestrade will text you within the next minute with a case that has Scotland Yard baffled, I'm sure." I stood, collecting my things, and patting his shoulder.

As I bent down and grabbed my laptop, Sherlock's phone buzzed and I smirked.

"How the hell did you know that?" Sherlock raised his phone to me, showing a text from Lestrade.

"Oh please, they lost me, of course they're going to need help. I'm sure you've been in contact with Lestrade since your return, he's returned to smoking I believe, and I think he and the wife split again. He's lonely and missed you bossing him around a crime scene, a case was bound to show up sooner or later." I explained.

"Yeah but how?" He asked, still in disbelief.

"He texted me a minute ago asking about you," I kissed his cheek, grabbing my bags with a smirk on my face.

"I've missed this." He said, as I was in the doorway.

"Tell Molly I said hello." I called as I descended the stairs.

I had pieced it together for the most part. I knew Sherlock would have needed help from within Barts, especially for falsifying autopsy records and post-mortems, thus Molly. With a new case, Sherlock always needs an assistant, and John is currently out of the picture. To say thank you for her work two years ago, Sherlock would take Molly for a spin as his assistant for a case. Though my intelligence and contacts tells me that she is engaged, meaning if she still has that crush on Sherlock, she won't be making this more than a one time thing.