A Scandal in Belgravia Part 8

The four of us sat in the same office I had found Mycroft in earlier. Mycroft was sitting across from Irene Adler at the table, while Sherlock and I were sitting in chairs in front of the fire.

"We have people who can get into this." Mycroft said, tapping the phone.

"I tested that theory for you. I let Sherlock Holmes try it for two months. Sherlock, dear, tell him what you found when you x-rayed my camera-phone." Irene said. Had two months really passed? It seemed to go by in a blink.

"There are four additional units wired inside the casing. I suspect containing acid or a small amount of explosive. Any attempt to open the casing will burn the hard drive." Sherlock said.

"Explosive. It's more me." Irene said with a smirk.

"Some data is always recoverable." Mycroft said.

"Take that risk." Irene said.

"You have a passcode to open this. I deeply regret to say we have people who can extract it from you." Mycroft said.

"Let's let Adelaide have a go at this one." Irene said.

"There will be two passcodes, one to open the phone, one to burn the drive. Even under duress, you can't know which one she's given you and there will be no point in a second attempt." I said, scowling at her. I heard Mycroft sigh.

"So smart aren't they? I should have them on a leash. In fact I might." Irene said. I looked back to her and rolled my eyes.

"We destroy this, then. No one has the information." Mycroft suggested.

"Fine. Good idea. Unless there are lives of British citizens depending on the information you're about to burn." Irene said.

"Are there?" Mycroft asked.

"Telling you would be playing fair. I'm not playing any more." Irene said, I wanted nothing more than to punch her in the face right now.

"A list of my requests, and some ideas about my protection once they're granted." Irene said, sliding an envelope over to Mycroft.

"I'd say it wouldn't blow much of a hole in the wealth of a nation, but then I'd be lying." Irene said, and judging by the look on Mycroft's face I didn't think she was lying.

"I'd imagine you want to sleep on it?" Irene said.

"Thank you, yes." Mycroft said, still reading the list.

"Too bad. Off you pop and talk to people." Irene said, now I really wanted to punch her.

Mycroft sighed and sat back in his chair.

"You've been very thorough. I wish our lot were half as good as you." Mycroft said.

"I can't take all the credit, I had a bit of help. Oh, Jim Moriarty sends his love." Irene said, his name send shivers down my spine. It clearly had an effect on Sherlock as well, his eyes widened at the sound of it.

"Yes, he's been in touch. Seems desperate for my attention, which I'm sure can be arranged." Mycroft said.

"I had all this stuff, never knew what to do with it. Thank God for the consultant criminal." Irene said, now sitting on the edge of the table. "Gave me a lot of advice about how to play the Holmes boys. Do you know what he calls you? The IceMan, and the Virgin, though I suppose he's going to have to think of a new one for you. He didn't even ask for anything, I think he just likes to cause trouble. Now, that's my kind of man."

"And here you are, the dominatrix who brought a nation to its knees. Nicely played." Mycroft said, standing.

"No." Sherlock suddenly said, causing everyone to turn to him, confused.