Gregson Part 5

The two of us rode the elevator down to the lab for Q to prep us for our case.

"Ah, hello you must be our new 009!" A man younger than what I expected greeted the two of us once the elevator door opened.

"Yes, Adelaide Gregson." I smiled.

"Before we get down to the details of your next mission, I'll need you both to roll up your left sleeve. Just a tracking device, needs to be implanted. M insisted on it after Miami." Q said, looking to Bass.

"He still mad about that?" Bass asked.

"Just need to keep an eye on you." Q smiled.

"What happened in Miami?" I asked as the tracking device was injected into my arm.

"007 stopped a bomb from destroying a Skyfleet prototype that was being unveiled." Q answered.

"Why would someone want to destroy it?" I asked.

"When they analyzed the stock market after 9/11, the CIA discovered a massive shorting of airline stocks. When the stocks hit bottom on 9/12 someone made a fortune." Q explained.

"So the same thing was supposed to happen with Skyfleet stock. I'm guessing that someone lost around 100 million dollars betting the wrong way. Do we know who?" I asked.

"Jesus, M wasn't lying about you being incredibly quick. We think it's a man known as Le Chiffre. Banker to the world's terrorists." Q said.

"Are we certain it's him?" I asked.

"Well it would explain how he could set up a high-stakes poker game at Casino Royale in Montenegro. Ten players $10 million buy in, $5 million rebuy. Winner takes all." Q said.

"Potentially $150 million. So we'll know where he'll be. But you don't want him dead do you? This Le Chiffre sounds like he doesn't have $100 million to lose." I said.

"Has he been playing the stock market with his clients' funds?" Bass asked, knowing the answer.

"We can't let him win this game. If he loses, he'll have nowhere to run. We'll give him sanctuary in return for everything he knows. We're putting you in the game Bass, replacing someone who was playing for a syndicate." Q explained.

"And am I just a tag along?" I asked.

"You're to keep him out of trouble, learn the ropes, and work as a team." Q explained, much to Bass' displeased look.

The two of us were on a train to Montenegro.

"Where exactly is the money coming from?" I asked.

"The treasury will wire it into my account at Montenegro." Bass explained.

"I suppose you've realized that if you lose, our government will have directly financed terrorism." I quipped. He smirked but didn't reply.

"I've never played poker." I confessed. "I suppose it's just a matter of probability and odds. You play the man across from you, not the cards in your hand. I think I'd quite like the game."

"You're good at reading people?" He asked.

"You already know that. You've read the blog haven't you?" I rolled my eyes.

"Riveting stuff. Though it's abnormal for a police officer to upgrade to a double-0, you must have connections. Friends in high places." He said, waiting for me to confirm his suspicions.

"I've gotten to where I am because I'm good at what I do. Much like you. It doesn't matter where you come from." I said defensively.

"I knew I liked you." He smirked.