The Reichenbach Fall Part 4

Mycroft's car brought me back to 221B where John stood at the front door opening a letter. I rushed up the stairs and into the sitting room.

"Where've you been?" Lestrade asked.

"Mycroft." Sherlock said, after looking me up and down. My breath hitched in my throat, for someone who had trouble reading me, he sure always knew when I was with Mycroft.

Lestrade had sent me the files so I read them in the car on the way here. Rufus Bruhl, the Ambassador to the US had two children. Max and Claudette, aged seven and nine, went to a boarding school named St. Aldate's in Surrey. School ended, all the other boarders went home. Just a few kids remained, including those two. The kids have vanished, and the ambassador had asked for Sherlock personally. The reichenbach hero.

We drove out to the boarding school, an hour drive that was extremely awkward. Sherlock and John were in the back, me in the front and Lestrade driving. I was still mad at Sherlock for yelling at me and pushing me away. I thought I had proved by now that two of us on a case was better than one. We were in this together, or so I thought...

Once we arrived at the boarding school I saw the house mistress who Lestrade said was Miss MacKenzie. He also told Sherlock to go easy on her.

"Miss MacKenzie. You're in charge of pupil welfare, yet you left this place wide open last night. What are you, an idiot, a drunk or a criminal? Now quickly, tell me!" Sherlock yelled, ripping her shock blanket off. That caught the attention of Lestrade and I, who both turned back to see Sherlock completely out of line. What was wrong with him? First me, then this poor old lady. I didn't know what Moriarty did to him, but something was definitely up.

"All the door and windows were properly bolted. No one, not even me, went into their room last night. You have to believe me." She said nervously. I began to march towards Sherlock.

"I do. I just wanted you to speak quickly. Miss MacKenzie will need to breathe into a bag now." Sherlock said, and I followed him in shock.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked as I followed him up the stairs.

"No idea what you mean." Sherlock said.

"Really, so we're going to pretend like nothing happened this morning." I said.

"I needed to think, you would have just distracted me. What did Mycroft want?" Sherlock asked, changing the subject.

"There was no need to scream at me. And what Mycroft and I talk about isn't your business." You said.

"It could be my business." Sherlock said.

"Yes it could, if you would just get over this childish feud and accept your brother's help." I said.

"Hmm, nope." Sherlock said, "Are you expecting me to apologize?"

"No, I know you better than that. It would be nice though if you realized that just maybe I could help you with this Moriarty thing." I argued.

"I don't want you to get hurt by him." Sherlock said, walking into the empty girls dorm.

"Don't you think we're a little past that." I said quietly, ending the conversation.

"Six grand a term, you'd expect them to keep the kids safe for you." John said as he entered the room.

"They were the only two sleeping on this floor. Absolutely no sign of a break-in. The intruder must have been hidden inside someplace." I said as Sherlock was opening and closing drawers and looking under the bed.

Sherlock picked up an envelope and pulled out a copy of Grimm Fairy Tales.

"Show me where the brother slept." Sherlock said, standing and moving towards the door.