A Study in Pink Part 4

The next morning I woke up early and showered. I straightened my hair, applied a little bit of makeup, and got dressed. After slipping into my grey pencil skirt, a light blue blouse, and a nude jacket, I looked for shoes. After slipping on a little jewelry I found some great, plain, light blue, pointed heels, and was ready to go. I grabbed my purse, locked the door, and went to hail a cab.

Once I arrived at Scotland Yard I met Lestrade, who was ushering people into a conference room. He was middle aged, had greying hair, and was fairly tall. He told me to stand in the back of the conference room and in a few hours everything should make sense. "After that if you still have any questions, feel free to ask." He said with a smile.

The first press conference was starting, and I wass standing in the back, leaning against the wall. The woman speaking, Margaret Patterson, had just lost her husband. One of the murder/suicides. "My husband was a happy man, who lived life to the full. He loved his family and his work. And that he should have taken his own life like this was a mystery and a shock to all that knew him." She read from a piece of paper. Very heartfelt, coming from a woman whose husband just died. She can't even speak from her heart, cares too much about her image.

My eyes scanned the room, falling on a blonde woman leaning against the window on the side of the room. She was crying more than the wife: Affair. She must have been the secretary or PA.

The next press conference was scheduled to start soon. Lestrade and another detective, Donovan, we're going to be answering questions to reporters about these strings of suicides.

"The body of Beth Davenport, Junior Minister for Transport, was found late last night on a building site in Greater London. Preliminary investigations suggest that this was suicide. We can confirm that this apparent suicide closely resembles those of Sir Jeffrey Patterson and James Phillimore. In the light of this, these incidents are now being treated as linked," Donovan said. Linked? Suicides can't be linked. Sherlock was right, they weren't suicides, they had to be murders. Donovan continued, "The investigation is ongoing, but Detective Inspector Lestrade will take questions now."

Lestrade looked slightly upset, almost like he knew something was wrong here. "Detective Inspector, how can suicides be linked?" A reporter asked.

"Well, they all took the same poison. Um, they were all found in places they had no reason to be. None of them had shown any prior intentions..." Lestrade was cut off by the reporter.

"But you can't have serial suicides." He said, and he was right.

"Well, apparently you can." Lestrade said, annoyed.

"These three people, there's nothing that links them?" Another reporter asked.

"There's no link that we've found yet but... We're looking for it, there has to be one." Lestrade said.

Suddenly everyone's phones started beeping even mine. It was a mass text.

Wrong!

"If you've all got texts, please ignore them." Donovan said.

"It just says 'Wrong'." The first reporter said.

"Yeah, well, just ignore that. If there are no more questions for Detective Inspector Lestrade, I'm going to bring this session to an end." Donovan said.

"If they're suicides, what are you investigating?" Another reporter asked.

"As I say, these suicides are clearly linked. Um. It's an unusual situation, we've got our best people investigating." Lestrade said, sort of flustered. I could tell this case wasn't putting him in a good mood. Everyone's phones beep again.