The Reichenbach Fall Part 9

I had no clue how I had made it back to my apartment that day. I sat on my couch, knees hugging my chest, rocking there. I heard a knock at the door, and I stood to answer it. All my movements were forced, and everything was in slow motion.

I pulled open the door to see Mycroft standing there. He frowned upon seeing the state I was in. Hair disheveled, eyes red and raw, my knees were scraped up, robe burns around my wrists and ankles, and there was a drizzle of dried blood on my neck from where the needle was forced in.

I wrapped my arms around him, still shaking as I hugged him. He held me, a broken girl who was all cried out. I let go of him and moved back to my place on the couch. He took off his suit jacket and hung it on my coat rack. This was the most 'casual' I had ever seen him, he looked almost vulnerable.

"You look like you need a drink." Mycroft said.

"I can't, I'm pregnant." I said, it was as if he had forgotten.

He moved to sit next to me.

"Adelaide, I know this is going to be hard for you, but I promise I will help you and your baby in away way I can." Mycroft said.

"I can't stay here, everything reminds me of him. And I can't go to Baker Street because–" I began to breathe heavily again.

"Come with me," Mycroft said and I looked up to him to see if he was serious, "I'll have someone fetch some of your things tomorrow."

I looked around the room before nodding. I stood slowly and Mycroft wrapped a coat around me and lead me into his car that was waiting outside.

The whole car ride was silent, as I looked out the window with a dead stare. I rested my head on Mycroft's shoulder, my actions surprising him.

I didn't know how long we had been driving, but I felt the car pull to a stop. I was ushered out of the car and into Mycroft's house. It was large, and very sophisticated. Most of it looked like it was never even touched. Mycroft showed me to a spare bedroom.

"You can stay here. I'll have to go to work early in the morning so you'll most likely be asleep. Make yourself at home. Anything you need just ask." He said, trying to be supportive. This was his brother, and he didn't seem nearly as upset as I was.

"I'm afraid the one thing I need, is the one thing even you can't give me." I said quietly, before he left.

I crawled into the unfamiliar bed, in the unfamiliar house, and began my new unfamiliar life.

The next morning I woke up early– does it count as waking up if I never really slept? I wandered the house absentmindedly, replaying the events of yesterday in my head. I thought about my last words to him, and his last words.

His last words were to John... he called John before he– you know...

The thought of not knowing what he said was eating me alive, I had to know. Maybe he left some sort of message or riddle. This was Sherlock, this couldn't be it, there had to be something. John was in no state to talk to me, and I didn't trust him to remember every work.

It had to be a message, a skip code or cipher. I knew there was only one person I could ask who would have access to that kind of information, and he had just walked through the door. I hadn't realized I had spent the whole day wandering around the house and thinking.

"Oh, hello Adelaide, do you need anything?" Mycroft asked when I had rushed to him unknowingly now standing in front of him.

"I need a favor." I said.

"What is it?" He asked, wanting to do anything to help me through this.

"I want to hear it. The call. He called John before it happened and I want to hear it, is there a way you can let me hear it?" I spoke quickly and nervously.