Gregson Part 7

The next morning the poker match continued. I watched carefully as Charles raised $500,000. My breath hitched in my throat. That was a lot of money. A lot of money that could not be used to fund terrorism. I watched Le Chiffre as everyone waited for his next move.

"Look, it's the tell. He's bluffing." Mathis whispered, now standing at my side. "My god, Charles was right."

Le Chiffre raised one million. I looked to James, praying for his eyes to meet mine. Something was up, I could feel it. He needed to look at me, I had to tell him somehow.

"Seems someone knows something I don't." the American at the end of the table said, folding. There was something familiar about him, besides the obvious nationality.

Charles raised two million, still not catching my eye. I had a gut feeling, something was about to happen, and I needed Bass still in this game.

"I'm all in." Le Chiffre said. I placed my head in my hands, knowing Charles is going to do the same thing. He would have to go all in to call his bluff, but I wasn't so sure he is bluffing. I wasn't sure who to believe.

"Call." Charles said, going all in. Charles had good cards, full house, kings and aces. Maybe this wasn't a bad plan after all. Everyone waited for Le Chiffre to show his cards.

Four jacks.

Bass was finished. The game took an hour break, but unless we could somehow secure that 5 million rebuy, there was no way we were winning this game.

I found Charles on the balcony off the lobby a few minutes later and joined him.

"I'm going to need the 5 million dollar rebuy." He muttered.

"I know, there's no way the treasury will go for it." I explained, trying to use reason.

"Look, I made a mistake. I was impatient, maybe I was arrogant, but I can beat him." Charles argued.

"Listen to me, I know you can do this, but you have to take your ego out of it." I retorted. He stormed off, back into the casino. I stayed outside a minute, letting the cool breeze calm me before returning to this mess I now call a life. I was going to have to be the strong one, I could do this.

Once inside I saw Charles descending the stairs with a knife in his hand, trying to hide it. He was mad, he was going to kill Le Chiffre. I couldn't let this happen.

The American passed in front of me, and I quickly deduced him before grabbing his arm, he turned around quickly.

"Can I help you miss?" He asked.

"Langley." I said, deducing he worked for the CIA, his eyes seemed to pop for a second before I continued, "Circus, need your help. Stop him" I motioned my head to Bass. He immediately understood.

I watched as he met Bass at the stairs, grabbing his arm with the knife and whispering something to him. I watched and smiled as my plan played out. I was a fixer. Just call me Olivia Pope, because it's handled.

I made my rounds around the room and waited for Bass to approach me. He did, with a martini in his hands.

"We're in the clear." He said quietly.

"You got the money?" I asked, faking surprise.

"Langley is staking us, the man at the end of the table, Felix Leiter. He's bleeding chips and knows we have a better chance of actually winning." Charles explained.

"The CIA? That's fantastic!" I said, and he had no ideas.

"Appears so. I still have to win though." He argued.